are all tikka rifles the same action length?

onlybrowning

I was just looking at their website and it does not appear that they use different bolt lengths for short action calibers and long actions. What gives? Why would I buy a short action caliber if the action itself would accomodate a longer cartridge. Is this a cost saving thing for them?

Colt46

Pretty sure you are correct

Whether you get the .243 or the .30-06 the action length is the same. Not sure if that is the case with the Magnum length cartridges though.

Yes. The cost savings on only needing to make one action length speeds up production and lowers cost.

onlybrowning

I will not be buying a short action caliber tikka then. That is the dumbest thing a company could do in my opinion. Damn I wish Browning would chamber the .338 federal.

onlybrowning

I think that short actions carry nicer, they are lighter, they are inherently stronger, and they are often times more accurate.

dgc940

I sold all my other guns and now own only tikkas!
More accurate out of the box? My 700 wasn't! my savage wasn't! and neither was my win. coyote lite! Tikka says they guarantee 1moa out of the box.
That hasn't been the case with mine! with hand loads and tuning they did a lot better than that. Next week I will have a new .308 on the way.
that will make me a 22-250 .243 and a .308 all varmints except the 243 is a hunter pencil barrel. that extra 1/2 inch or whatever of bolt travel sure is wearing my arm out!

hoghunting

The Tikka T3 - even with its long action - is probably lighter than a Browning, and it is well balanced. The Tikka and Sako barrels are made on the same machinery, in the same factory, by the same people. The T3 has a boltstop for different cartridge lengths, so the bolt travels the length of the cartridge.

My T3 in 300 WSM is lighter, more accurate, and definitely has a better trigger than my A-Bolt in 270 WSM. My A-Bolt is spending more time in the vault.

absolute0

Look for one of the old Tikka Model 595 "Whitetails" the predecessor to the current T3 line of rifles. They were produced in both short action & long action models.

Nicer looking too :)