Are all the gun-shows on TV done?

rlc323

Sportsmen's Channel has "Lock and Load Mondays" with Guns and Ammo TV, Gallery of Guns, Ruger, Tac TV. Good viewing.

NRA news on each weekday same channel 5 p.m.

Wyoredman

The Outdoor Channel has a very good line-up on Wednesday nights as well. Shooting USA, NRA's American Rifleman, The Gun Guys, and several others.

ClydeFrog

Duck Dynasty, Sons of Guns, American Guns....

A&E has some of the highest basic cable ratings ever for the unscripted series; Duck Dynasty. That show is very popular(but Id bet the fad will draw down after a bit). Many viewers think the family "owns" Duck Commander/Buck Commander but the company is now part of ATK, ;) .
Discovery's Sons of Guns has decent ratings. It started in 2011 & is still in full production. That series seems really staged but it's entertaining.
American Guns was cut after the Newtown event in 2012 by the network but I think the Wyatts are going back in some other format. S&W markets a "Gunsmoke" 637 J frame. I'm not sure if this stainless snub was a promotional tie-in for the series or S&W wanted to cash in on the TV series hype.
I no longer get as many basic cable or Direct TV channels so I can't say what airs where but there are still many pro-2A/gun TV shows on air.

It's smart when you think about it. Gun owners & hunters have income(buy products). They also show brand loyalty & watch their favorite shows on a regular basis.

ebell46

it seems that the discovery channel shows and the like have been canceled for one reason or another but as mentioned before, there is some fantastic shooting programs on the outdoor channel. I particularly like wednesday night at the range presented by midway.

Bezoar

Some of the shows are ok to watch to kill time.

cant really call people who spend that much money to shoot an animal on a fenced in ranch over an automatic corn spreader to be hunting....

However the non hunting gun shows are a little off in my opinion. Gallery of guns is ok, they admit they are purely for advertising.

The other shows just rehash the same 5 seconds of "footage" between 5 minutes of commercial sponsorship of the products that they say are wonderful.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Shooting USA is generally informative and entertaining. They cover a little bit of everything from competition to history to hunting to just plain fun shooting.

Impossible Shots (by the Shooting USA staff) is a good show. Each show has a couple of exhibition shooters set up and make some "impossible shots". Always a fun show.

If I found myself limited to only watching one or two gun oriented TV shows, Shooting USA or Impossible Shots would be easy picks.

American Rifleman is a magazine put on video. They have some good information but they haven't quite grasped the fact that they should be doing a TV show as opposed to trying to "videoize" their standard magazine format.

Shooting Gallery is pretty good. They've improved tremendously over the past few years from what amounted to what could have been a radio interview show (host interviews various gun personalities) taped on video into a true shooting show that makes reasonably good use of the video medium. Still has a little too much flavor of seemingly being oriented towards making sure that the host gets as much video time as possible.

I've been watching Ruger Inside and Out once in awhile. It's clearly an advertisement for Ruger, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining and informative. Probably the best of the obviously advertising oriented shows.

Guns & Ammo TV isn't too bad. I DVR the episodes but only watch about 5-10 minutes out of an entire show and fast-forward past the rest. It has the same tendency as American Rifleman to be a magazine set to video as opposed to really making good use of the video medium.

ATSN's Stop The Threat is one I try to keep tabs on because it offers a good opportunity to discuss various aspects of self-defense with my wife while watching it. She is interested enough that she'll watch it (or at least be in the room paying some attention to the TV while I watch it) and will make comments on it once in awhile. There's lots of good content (usually due to the host's choice of qualified and informed panelists) but sometimes the scenarios discussed are a little thin and everyone on the show has to work a little too hard to think of things to say to fill the time alloted.

Bezoar

i dont recall the show name, but it was a home defense setup show. it had 3 so called swat guys on it playing with shotguns on a grassy field of a shooting range. the only thing they did was say a fact about 1 in 20 shots fired by police actually hitting the target in a gun fight, and the classic

"being on the range with fake ammo can make us all loose safety in the real world. SO we need to practice tactical drills that require us to treat the weapon like its truly loaded".

that was the whole show. not usefull. The 3 gun nation crap, geesalou, how can people watch that crap?

GunXpatriot

You know, as much as I love guns, I never really enjoyed hunting/shooting programs. I would rather watch guys like Hickok45, IraqVeteran8888, Nutnfancy, etc, etc.

I hate hunting shows... They're slow paced and boring to me... I dunno, it's nice to have the shows there, but if I don't feel any of it is QUALITY programming, why care?

I do like, um... I think it's on the Outdoor Channel, ShootingUSA, and those types of things? Um... MidwayUSA "Choose Your Weapon" or something like that... I'll catch them from time to time, but I'd rather something more real and "amateurish" like the stuff on youtube. Real people, doing real things, giving real opinions (for the most part). I also like seeing Hickok45 doing his stuff live and not trying to hide his screwups on the range...

So I guess that's my .02, or... Something.

ljnowell

clydefrog said:
A&E has some of the highest basic cable ratings ever for the unscripted series; Duck Dynasty. That show is very popular(but Id bet the fad will draw down after a bit). Many viewers think the family "owns" Duck Commander/Buck Commander but the company is now part of ATK, .
Discovery's Sons of Guns has decent ratings. It started in 2011 & is still in full production. That series seems really staged but it's entertaining.
American Guns was cut after the Newtown event in 2012 by the network but I think the Wyatts are going back in some other format. S&W markets a "Gunsmoke" 637 J frame. I'm not sure if this stainless snub was a promotional tie-in for the series or S&W wanted to cash in on the TV series hype.
I no longer get as many basic cable or Direct TV channels so I can't say what airs where but there are still many pro-2A/gun TV shows on air.

It's smart when you think about it. Gun owners & hunters have income(buy products). They also show brand loyalty & watch their favorite shows on a regular basis.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/04/atk-duck-commander-announcement/#axzz2jStwJtzB

It doesnt seem that they necessarily own Duck commander, though they have partnered with them.

rlc323

I honestly do not miss the one with the Gunsmoke gun shop. American Guns I believe it was called with the family that sold guns and the shop that "customized" them for clients.

Watched a couple episodes and even with all the gratuitous cleavage I never watched again.

g.willikers

We don't get any of the cable channels that have the shooting shows on tv these days.
So, I've become dependent on web sites, and have found them far more useful than shows on the advertised driven tv shows.

Husqvarna

i guess most the shows you guys mention doesn't make it across the pond:mad:

some of them are on basic cable

sons of guns, american guns, lords of war, family guns.

naturally I torrent other stuff but those are the big ones:D

ClydeFrog

Post #12...

I enjoyed the "production values" on the show. ;)
I laughed at the way the heavy set gunsmith who carried a Ruger GP100 always seemed to be in dispute with the other gunsmiths/shop employees about the projects.
Really, American Guns seemed rather staged & campy but it was entertaining. I've been around guns & the shooting sports for years so it's not a huge impact on me.

It's the same as Dog the Bounty Hunter is a example of all bail enforcement or bounty hunters across the US. :rolleyes:

coldbeer

Ted Nugent had a gun show for a short while but it was awful. Who buys a new rifle because their current expensive rifle falls of the atv and needs to be zero'd again? Then he shoots an imaginary snake that threatens his family on the atv with his 10mm. I'm guessing the show was cancelled because it was really really stupid like Ted.

ClydeFrog

Reality TV....

I do recall the Nuge's TV shows but I thought they were just specials not full scale series.
I did see on Dog Chapman's A&E and CMT shows how he was "anti-gun" :rolleyes: but his son; Leyland is on the CMT series with a Glock pistol on his hip.

Clyde

4 Paws

I did see on Dog Chapman's A&E and CMT shows how he was "anti-gun" but his son; Leyland is on the CMT series with a Glock pistol on his hip
After watching "Dog" and his crew on TV, it's amazing no one in their crew has been seriously hurt.

KMatch

I don't know if dog was "anti gun" or if it was a felony issue. I never took interest in him and could be wrong but I seem to remember it being mentioned he didn't carry a gun due to his record.

And as for Nugent getting a new gun for the ATV incident, that was all staged (dropping the gun) for an excuse to simply setup a 30 minute commercial for the new gun. He turns a corner and the gun falls out with a camera posted right there waiting? The gun manufacture happened to have that new rifle on the bench waiting just in cast Ted happened to drop by on the off chance he slung a rifle in the mud? All commercial setups! I find the show interesting but the staging kills/killed it.

David13

I only watch the Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman Channel, so about every show has guns in it.
I suppose I like the hunting shows a lot.
Most for elk and deer, those are my favorites.
As for these hunting shows being slow, what?????
Yes, hunting is slow. Hunting is sitting around, or tracking around for hours, perhaps days, and maybe, or maybe not getting anything.
That's the very idea and essence of the thing.
So, to add drama, to "speed it up" to add hokum, to add "pizzazz", to "make it interesting and exciting" to me would be blasphemy. An abomination.
dc