Are all Match HP rounds not for hunting?

Jamie Young

I know the Federal Gold Match 168gr don't act like Hollow Points, and they are only HP because of the way they are made. I just picked up a box of Sierra 175gr HPBT Match bullets for some accuracy tests, but I wasn't sure if its the same deal. I'd like to use these for precision shooting and hunting.

Can I get both??:confused:

stans

Match hollow points are not designed for expansion. They are made as hollow points only so that the base of the bullet is completely covered with gilding metal and is not likely to deform under the heat and pressure of firing. The jacket is not skived nor is the jacket thinned at the hollow point opening and usually will not expand.

Jamie Young

I'm talking about deer and bear. Sending a bullet that doesn't expand threw a deer is something to worry about in My neck of the woods.

Gewehr98

I understand, SodaPop.

I was thinking about the folks who hunt coyote, beaver, and other fur-bearing animals, and don't want to put bigger holes in the pelts than need be for market purposes. Although, I wonder what percentage of the shooting population these days even does that?:confused:

wksinatl

If you are looking for the accuracy of Match bullets but want expansion check out the Hornady AMAX. I shoot the 168 and 180's in 30 caliber and the 140's in my PacNor 6.5-284. They are simply amazing on thin skin animals (deer). I would not consider them for bear. I think the Nosler Partition would be the ticket. The AMAX's are priced much more reasonbly than the Nosler BT's. The only rifle that doesn't seem to like them is my Springfield Armory M1A National Match. It likes the 168 MK's. Good Luck, Keith

WESHOOT2

BACKWARDS

Recommend using hunting bullet and working on accuracy with THAT.

How much accuracy is required for deer / bear where you hunt? 200 yds? 300 yds? 700 yds?
How about 'precision distance'?

Someone give me a "300 KONG" Amen!

C.R.Sam

Agree with WS2.
Find a good bullet for the game to be hunted. Then work up an accurate load for it.

Remember......even tho you can hit the X ring on the first shot at 500 yards........try that on a deer and he could walk over and mate with a doe while the bullet is on it's way. Long range CLEAN kills are partly shooter and mostly luck.

Sam (really quick buck ?)

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I can speak only to the Sierra 168 gr MKHP. I've seen it used successfully on several whitetails, but it is not consistent. When it works, it works fine, but is unpredictable. Sometimes, it just drills a hole (we still recovered the deer as it was a good shooter using it) and other times it didn't even penetrate the body cavity with a broadside shot, but would do terrific damage within...just like a varmint bullet. Yet, other shots showed that the bullet just broke into two pieces.

Personally, I don't use them for hunting.

Best.