Arcus 98DA, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

David the Gnome

I keep looking through my J&G catalog and this Arcus keeps popping out to me. The original Arcus 98 was a Browning HP clone, this 98DA is a DA/SA variant of that gun (as so many BHP-clones eventually become). It's made in Bulgaria and apparently is used by their military and police. For a little over $300 for a brand new gun, it's mighty temping. Unfortunately there is very little information out there on this model. Does anyone own one or have any experiences with this model?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/arcus-98da-9mm-full-size-new/products_id/2376

1%20Arcus%2098DA%209MM%20Full%20Size%202001353.jpg

hemiram

I knew someone who had an Arcus 94, the older single action version, and it was a decent gun, no problems with it. He traded it on a Beretta 92 a while back.

Last edited:

wnycollector

My only experience has been with a arcus 94. I picked up a used compact model for $250 last year. The fit and finish were 1st class. If I had kept it longer I would have removed the mag safety and lowered the trigger pull weight.

railroader

With the arcus 94 you can use FN hi power parts for replacements for most things. With the Arcus 98 where can you get parts and does it have a warranty? If you have a problem can it be fixed or will you have a paperweight. I had an Arcus 94 and it was a good gun. It needed an extractor because I had a reloaded case let go which blew the extractor out never to be found. I called up Browning and ordered a hi power extractor which dropped right in. Things break. (Edit) I just did a search and the importer looks to be Century Arms and has a 2 year warranty. Mark

Last edited:

Te Anau

I love my 94 and just shot it several weeks ago.All Arcus guns I've seen are well built and reliable.I would not hesitate in getting the 98.