Archery vs Firearms and the Law

Dave1911

Had a weird run in today. We live on a pond (some call it a lake) with several other houses around it (~35). No motors. People paddle kayaks, paddle boards, etc. People also fish on it.

So a guy is in his paddle boat wielding a fishing bow and arrow in what appears to be a somewhat care free nature. The water area is maybe 50' across (shore to shore). Kids are playing in a backyard right next to where he is fishing. He comes towards my yard and sweeps my dog who is on our property at the water line. I proceed to shout him down at that point. He tells me it is safe. He had not engaged the arrow. I told him I didn't care. And he needs to ensure he will not point a bow and arrow in my direction or my dog's direction or my property.

After a few Inet searchs. I don't see much on this topic. I was wondering what folks on here think. They are normally level headed :). And clearly don't jump to conclusions when it comes to more laws. I for one don't like someone snooping around within 30' of my back door with a bow and arrow that they are planning to engage.

44 AMP

Staff
Somewhere, though it may not be easy to find, your state has a list of what the state considers to be deadly weapons. Try looking for that.

Basically anything that can be moved by man can be used as a weapon, and in some cases effects of nature can be, as well.

From my point of view, someone pointing a weapon at me and claiming its safe because it "is not loaded /the safety is on / the arrow is not "engaged" doesn't make me feel safe.

It may or may not meet your state's definition of assault. What possible justification can there be for someone who is "fishing with a bow", pointing it at anything that isn't the fish or the water where the fish are?

My town has a local ordinance that prohibits discharging any firearm or any bow and arrow, crossbow, BB gun, air rifle, or slingshot (yep!) within 500 feet of any dwelling or within 500 feet of any person who is not part of the shooter's party (paraphrased).

Pahoo

Don't understand the problem ??

I for one don't like someone snooping around within 30' of my back door with a bow and arrow that they are planning to engage.
I'm trying to understand the situation as there are too many elements involved.
For me, the I see more problem with the "snooping" around, so close to your house. As far as bow-fishing, I've always had a reel and line, on my bow so the arrow travel is really limited. Granted, when you shoot "anything", you should have a back-stop but really don't need one if there is a line attached. .... :)
So, I would ask; what is your real issue and understand that you "probably" have a "valid" gripe!!??? ..... :confused:

44 AMP

Staff
I think the gripe is valid, because its a matter of principles and potentials.

In the given situation, a guy is "sweeping" me and mine with a loaded projectile weapon. I don't know if there's a line on the arrow, or how long it is. I don't know if the arrow is "engaged" (whatever the hell that means, I will assume it means nocked on the string). What I see is a guy with a bow, with an arrow "on it" pointed at me, or my dog, or some family member.

Now, I know that even a partially drawn bow can send an arrow several feet, with enough force to injure or even kill. Should I just assume everything is safe and proper because some stranger, who is demonstrating a disregard for basic safety rules and general politeness, says "its ok!"

Sure, its all safe, all harmless, until its not.