AR15's are the #1 selling disaster item in New Orleans!

black

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/gun_rights/index.html

Guns and Gustav

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow

hopefully this time around...the govt. won't try to disarm good people.

Chui

Well, we know the gang banger looters won't be inside their middle class homes, in their middle class neighborhoods minding their own darned business don't we? :rolleyes:

There were house to house searches, dude.

Just another case of "power corrupts..." yet many Americans apparently just won't get it...

azredhawk44

militias are bad?

To Stagger, Tennessee Gent, and a couple others here, yes they are.

To some others of us, nope.

Depends on if you judge a book by its cover or by its content.

Back to the OP: good on N'awlins. I wouldn't suggest sitting out on the porch with it in the aftermath of a hurricane, unless you have your militia handy to discourage the nat-guard rif-raff from taking your gun.

But... good for them for seeing its blatant benefits in the context of lawlessness.

HOGGHEAD

New Orleans

I would think they would buy a truck and get the he** out of there. Why would any human being want to live below sea level?? It makes no sense to me. And why would American tax payers have to bail out anybody who decides to live below sea level?? As I said it makes no sense to me.

I do not blame the people for buying an AR. But I question their sanity as far as where they live is concerned. Tom.

black

I would think they would buy a truck and get the he** out of there. Why would any human being want to live below sea level?? It makes no sense to me. And why would American tax payers have to bail out anybody who decides to live below sea level?? As I said it makes no sense to me.

I do not blame the people for buying an AR. But I question their sanity as far as where they live is concerned. Tom.

to some it's because they milk the system and to others because it's where they grew up...the history, the culture, etc...

the same could be said of those who live in the midwest with all that flooding. The difference is, the people in the midwest are responsible...the people in NO aren't. brains take a back seat when you live in a liberal utopian cesspool...but those with AR's now are using the brains while others will wait for govt. to bail them out...again.

SilentHitz

the looters and gangbanger were not the problem in NO, it was the gun owners...
Bogus! They looted the stores for everything, even guns...and it wasn't the law abiding gun owners who were shooting at rescue choppers!:rolleyes:

black

who got the blunt end of the stick in post katrina NO? the looters ran free (with cops clearly in site). the gun owners were the ones govt and the police went after with more force IMHO.

Stagger Lee

who got the blunt end of the stick in post katrina NO? the looters ran free (with cops clearly in site). the gun owners were the ones govt and the police went after with more force IMHO.

Were you there?

Some of us who actually do have first-hand knowledge can attest that there were many, many looters locked up, most of whom wound up getting held pre-trial for extended periods. On the other hand, I don't recall seeing anyone getting tossed in jail just because they owned a gun.

AK103K

On the other hand, I don't recall seeing anyone getting tossed in jail just because they owned a gun.
There are more than just a few accounts of lawful gun owners simply being disarmed and having their weapons taken and left to fend for themselves. I'm sure we've all seen the clips of the old lady being forcefully relieved of her pistol, or the group of people, and these were people who lived in the well off neighborhood where it occurred, who had an encounter with the authorities and were also disarmed and left.

I personally know someone who was there and was "detained" but not arrested by members of the LA State police immediately after Katrina.

He, along with a couple others he was with, were forcefully disarmed. He was stripped of both his rifle and handgun, along with some other gear he had on him. They also took all his ID, including his military ID, and left them where they found them. They were not given a receipt for their weapons or gear, nor were they told where to recover their stuff or given contact information from the cops. All they got were name tags and other info off the uniforms.

They had quite a fight getting "most" of his stuff back. Interestingly enough, a lot of their stuff was never turned in by those that took it and was still in their possession when recovered.

Depends on if you judge a book by its cover or by its content.

This is what Stagger Lee does whenever the dreaded militia terms comes up.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306322&page=2

On the other hand, I don't recall seeing anyone getting tossed in jail just because they owned a gun.

No, just wrestled to the ground if you happen to be an eighty year old women cradling a revolver while showing off her food stocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Qx0cTze0M

Or getting their lawfully owned and carried weapons confiscated without any
due process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4&feature=related

MrNiceGuy

I would think they would buy a truck and get the he** out of there.

FINALLY! a correct answer!

This really should be an I.Q. test.

If you knew a storm was coming and had a good possibility of wiping out you and your city, what would you buy to prepare?

A) stock pile food
B) buy a gun
C) spend the money on transportation out of the city that is about to be destroyed

anyone remember the scene in austin powers where AP is driving the steam roller, and all the guard can do is sit there and yell "stop!"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms