AR15 with cheap 7.62x39 ammo?

Dezynco

I should have my lower reciever next week. Looks like it make take a while to get my upper reciever, perhaps several weeks or months! But that's besides the point....

I'm thinking about barreling mine in 7.62x39, which will be a more useful cartridge to me (around here in Mississippi). How well does the "cheap" ammo function in an AR 15. I know I should probably stay away from the laquer coated steel cases, but how about the "bi-metal" type that do not have the varnished finish?

Any opinions? I would like to buy a can of the stuff before it dries up.

tkcomer

Most of the com block ammo I've used is old stuff. Lacquer and copper washed. But I've never tried any Wolf through mine. My Model 1 upper with the MGI bolt and C Products 10 round clips runs the com block ammo just fine. But eventually, I'll load all my own ammo for better accuracy. Here's what mine looks like: http://www.pixagogo.com/4825444121 Click on pic to make it bigger, then click on original at the top to blow it up. First three targets was the first day out with the gun and the com bloc ammo along with some WWB at 100 yards. Last target is some of my handloads at 50 yards. Not great, but it was windy that day and I had to use the 50 yard range as there is a building to the right that keeps the target from blowing off the box.

Dezynco

Nice rig! That's exactly how I want to set mine up. I may be attending a gun show tomorrow, I'll look for a spam can while I'm there. I'll probably be shooting "good" ammo and my reloads most of the time, but it's good to know that the cheap stuff seems to function OK as well.

tkcomer

The main problem I've "heard" about Wolf is the failure to fire. Seems the primers are hard and a tad recessed in the brass. Various ways to cure this, but I took the lazy way (Not Cheap) out with the MGI bolt and firing pin.

TPAW

Wolf is about all I can afford to shoot. That being said, I've never had any problems. Wolf now has the polymer coated casings which is said to be better than the laquer. I've shot both and find it to be true. Not as dirty. So far I've put about 5,000 rounds through my AK and AR. After each outing I clean them very well. To date, no complaints. To the best of my recollection, I've had about 7 misfires out of approximately 10,000 rounds fired.