AR15 Trigger job fail..... Quick Question...

Lavid2002

I'm doing a cheap AR build. I put a DPMS LPK into a lower receiver. Felt the trigger and it was scratchy and had a hard pull. I took it out. Polished the trigger and now its smooth. I then decided to do the quick trigger job where you snap the leg off the right side of the trigger spring so only a 1/4" stub is left, and you bend the trigger spring up a little on each leg. Well now the hammer doesn't have enough oomph to set off primers. >: |

I took a trigger spring out of another gun and poped it in and it was setting off every round, so my conclusion is to buy a new trigger spring, pop it in, and call it a day. However, heres the problem...

On the modification page it reads
CAUTION: DO NOT modify the trigger spring without also modifying the hammer spring. I can bend the trigger spring back no problem. But my question is...why is this such a big deal. I cant come up with a reason why.

-Dave

TargetTerror

I don't really know trigger mechanics too well, but could the mismatched springs put an imbalanced pressure on the sear surface, making it more likely to fire when it shouldn't?

Lavid2002

Heres my logic...

The hammer

The spring had 1 leg cut off, this lightens the force of the hammer falling on the FP. Which is why i'm having misfires. Since the trigger has less weight on it the trigger disconnecting from the hammer takes less force.

The trigger

By bending the legs up I lightened the force it takes to push the trigger back.

I see no correlation between the single legged hammer spring and the regular hammer spring in respect to the new, angled trigger spring :confused:

TRguy

maybe its me but I feel few want to jump in and reply because of the AR engineering and anyone that has mucked with or altered the springs on ARs usually finds they are replacing them with spec springs in short order. Whether it is a detent springs, cutting rounds off a buffer spring (Guilty) or the trigger or hammer springs. One thing I have learned is that the AR is engineered to specific tolerances and messing with it as a backyard gunsmith usually leads to errors.

There are to many reasonably priced economical options out there. The Rock River match grade two stage trigger comes to mind that makes fooling with the stock triggers just too risky.

sneaky pete

OLD SNEAKY PETE here; Get holt of Bill Springfield. Send him your trigger parts tell him you want the 3# job--springs & all. You wont be sorry. Those triggers in the LPKs SUCK. THANX--SNEAKY:)

Last edited:

javven

Yeah - I've messed with this before. I'll be honest it worked but I was never happy with it. I eventually went to a jewel trigger installed by a smith. Just couldn't beat 3 lbs and breaking like an icicle.