AR15 rear sight

akinswi

I have an Armalite M15A2 with the standard rear sight. Does some one make a rear sight that I can dial in at 50 yards 100 yards 200 yards etc? I have mine set on the 8/3 and is zeroed for 36 / 300yards. But I would like to able to get point of impact ranging 50 yards to 200 yards without using an optic

Thanks,
Will

HWS

Upgrade to Ultradyne iron sights if you can afford them. They adjust to 600 yards. I have used them and hit a 18 inch target at 500 yards---not every time but sometimes.

tangolima

I have an Armalite M15A2 with the standard rear sight. Does some one make a rear sight that I can dial in at 50 yards 100 yards 200 yards etc? I have mine set on the 8/3 and is zeroed for 36 / 300yards. But I would like to able to get point of impact ranging 50 yards to 200 yards without using an optic

Thanks,

Will
The rear sight has 2 apertures. You zero with the small aperture for 36 / 300yd. Flip up the big aperture, the zero changes to 50 / 200yd. If you are using the right kind of ammo that is.

If you want to have your own dial, it can be done too. Put masking tape over the drum, and mark it yourself. Each click is 1 MOA. You can do whatever you like. The original marking is for certain military load anyway. It won't work for the load you like.

One thing to watch out when you try to make use of the first ballistic crossing for short (<100yd). The adjustment is reversed. For instance, your rifle is zeroed for 36 / 300yd. The POI is the same as the POA at 36 yd, as it is the 1st crossing. Now you move the target to 50yd. The POI will be above the POA. You will need to lower the rear sight, instead of raising it. It is counter intuitive.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HiBC

Well...You have 1 click is one MOA Thats not a lot different than Garand Sights,M-14 sights,and even optics.

So when you sight in at whatever basic zero range you choose,(say 300?)count how many clicks up from bottomed out that is. Once you know that,you can find your way back,

As you sight in other ranges,weite down how many clicks from your chosen zero you need. 100,200,etc Learn the clicks

Metal god

If you sight the riffle in at 50yds it will be zeroed at 200yds as well with M193 . All my AR’s with irons are sighted using the 50/200yd zero . I think that put you about 1.25” high at 100yds

akinswi

Hibc,

It was my understanding that you raise or lower the front post to get your zero on most A2 style ARs. And use the rear drum 1 click past the 8/3 setting and use the windage to zero the rds on a BZO target. I used a 36 yard zero because a friend of mine in the Marine Corps said that is what they use , so I figured they know more than I do.

But the rear markings on the drum go up from 800/300 yards/meters 400/500/600 up to 800.So in other words I cant go down. Under 300 yards

My M1 you can bottom out the drum and just count your clicks up for a maxium of 32 “I think” But you can move the front post left or right on an M1 to get windage zero. to keep your rear sight zeroed.

To me they couldnt be any more different except for 1 click Moas. I do perfer the M1 sight setup tho.

Last edited:

Rob228

You should have adjustment lower than 8/3, I recall coming down 2 clicks from 8/3 for the 200 yard line.

tangolima

The Marines modified (it can be easily done) their sight to be able to go 2 clicks below 8/3, so that they can have 50/200 zero for close quarter without using the bigger aperture. This article explains all that complications.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/savannaharsenal.com/2017/04/08/how-to-zero-ar-15-a2-type-sights/amp/

The mod to the sight is nothing more than unscrew a set screw in the drum to realign the upper and lower drums (the drum consists of two parts). Midwayusa has video showing rear sight installation. While you are doing that, it wouldn't hurt to put in 3 or 4 clicks below 8/3 so that you can put zero down to 100yd or less. You may lose clicks near 800yd, but you seriously think you can hit 800yd with 5.56mm?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HiBC

I'm telling you this as testiment to the flexibility of the sight setup.

First,I'm comfortable with the idea of changing units.Meters,yards feet.MOA,mils,cubits,hummingbird wingspans,it does not matter.I can work with it.

My latest is a 10 in bbl AR pistol in 300 blk. I'm using a rear sight that is a commercial verson of a cut off removable handle sight.Front sight is a clamp on fixed tritium Daniel Defense mounted on a forend rail. Its set back a couple of inches to leave real estate for an upside down handgun laser/light mounted forward top.

Point being,sight radius and cartridge trajectory mean NOTHING about the military setup will match.
My front tritiun sght,I can only see the tritium when it directly faces me. that means any front sight adj is a full revolution. One late night I think I figured thats a 7 MOA adjustment at the front sight. OK,no sweat. Its a coarse adj that will get me on the target paper. I won't use it out in the world.

I confess,I have not done my range work yet.

I have a chronograph,an excellent Kowa 77 mm fluorite lens spotting scope (I just do not need to walk downrange to well past 300 yards.On just the right day with the right lighting,I could see 30 cal bullet holes in a black bull at 500 yds. 300 plus is no problem.I have a Leica laser rangefinder ,a Kestrel wind gauge and ballistic software.

So,boresight,close target to 100 yd zero,I can turn the rear elevation drum to get a 100 yard zero on the 100 d target,real world.I write down how many clicks of unknown value(at this point) the 100 yd zero is up from bottom.

Now,depending on how much time I have,I might move to a lasered 200 yd target. Zero at 200 yds,relying on my spotting scope to walk them in.

Record the clicks in my data book.

Repeat for as many range increments as I have time for that day,writing everything down.

Now what do I have? Actual downrange targets to measure POI change on target per click. Thats my real world results,recorded. I just don't care what its "'supposed to be"

I know my velocity.I know the ranges.I know the sight height. Within the ballistic software,I can adjust the advertised BC of my 125 gr Ballistic Tips or whatever I'm shooting to calibrate the advertised BC to a BC that matches my real world results as I tested and measured them.

I now have an idea of what my "click value is,the dope to repeat 100,200,300,etc in elevation clicks up from bottom,and enough verified inputs to make the ballistic software work.

I can make a little "Cheat sheet" and attach it to a sling or the top of the buffer tube with clear shipping tape or whatever works better.

Yes,with the short sight radius,the click value will be different. Coarser. Maybe 2 MOA. OK.

This gun has no "brace". Just a buffer tube. 300 blk at about 2000 fps.
The gun's job is not much different than an M-1 Carbine. Its not intended to be a sniper rifle or long range prairie dog gun. Ican certainly test the small aperture to see what the results are and know what ranges to use it.

I could use the same process for 5.56 gr 75gr Hornady BTHP s and a 20 in bbl at 2800 fps.

The sight is a tool,like a micrometer. I can test and record results,and use the data.TheGarand sight does a fine job of giving 1 MOA per click. If it was a "Tanker Garand" with lower velocity and shorter sight radius, No problem!! Shoot with known parameters and record results.

They call that Dope.

Last edited:

Rob228

The Marines modified (it can be easily done) their sight to be able to go 2 clicks below 8/3, so that they can have 50/200 zero for close quarter without using the bigger aperture. This article explains all that complications.

I'm hitting my 21 year mark in the Corps in January and I never knew that, always learning something new here.

They call that Dope.
It's actually an acronym. Data On Previous Engagements. But that is a good system. You know what WILL happen at each yard line, not what SHOULD happen.

Dfariswheel

A good solution is the Sandose Revised Battle Sight Zero, or the Sandose Improved Revised sight Zero.

In the first system you can get a battle sight zero that will put a bullet within 2 1/2 inches at any range up to 230 yards by aiming at the center of a target.
At close range it may be as much as 2 1/2 inches high, at longer ranges it may be as much as 2 1/2 inches low.
This requires no changes to the sight for any practical range, so you can shoot at fast targets without having to change the sights for different ranges.
This is a "Point and Shoot" type sight setting.

In the second method, you can set the sight so you can shoot at typical American yardages like 50 and 100 yards.

In both methods the metric sights still work as usual....if you want to shoot at say 300 meters, just dial the range in the sight.

Here's the illustrated instructions for both methods.
Note that the set up is slightly different for 800 meter rifle sights and 600 meter carbine sights.......

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/18-328143/

I set my Colt M4 with the second method and I can adjust the sight and shoot on target at both 50 and 100 yards.

Last edited:

akinswi

Thanks I will try this method. Im assuming this is using M855/SS109 “62grain” or XM193ammo “55 grain”.

darkgael

Donald…..if that last post was addressed to me…..no, the rear sight on the gun when i bought it was the stock two aperture flip sight.
I added a screw with a finer pitch to get 1/4 min adjustments and a screw in hood as well as a finer aperture.

Last edited: