AR15 Questions?

roc1

I am new to AR type rifles and would like some good info before buying.
1. Is the standard 223 ok or do you need to make sure it will shoot the NATO round which the M16 shot which is hotter?
2.Are they or can they be as accurate as a bolt gun?
3. I would use it for target and if good enough varmint hunt if it is accurate.
4. I guess it will shoot varmint type reloads like Hornady VMAX bullets polymer tipped?
5.I guess the 20" barrel would be overall the best for this dual purpose?
6. Are the Bushmasters DPMS and S&W pretty equal in quality or is their one a lot better?
7 My gunshop has rifles from $720-$1020 I guess this is average price for the brands I mentioned?
8.Is a scope a good thing on these guns?
9. I guess last what do most of you fellows use them for just for fun or actually hunt ?
Thanks sorry I had so many questions,just do not know much about them?
roc1

TexasSIGMan

Wow, lots of questions there :)
All my opinions, you'll likely get 20 others.....

1. Is the standard 223 ok or do you need to make sure it will shoot the NATO round which the M16 shot which is hotter?

The barrel will be marked, nearly all of them are OK for the NATO 5.56.
It's rare to find an AR chambered for .223 only.
Some have Wylde chambers which is sort of an in between (and a topic all to itself)

2.Are they or can they be as accurate as a bolt gun?

They can be, if you spend enough (money and time)

3. I would use it for target and if good enough varmint hunt if it is accurate.

Many coyotes have fallen to my ARs

4. I guess it will shoot varmint type reloads like Hornady VMAX bullets polymer tipped?

Depending on bullet weight and barrel twist rate mainly.
Mine shoot 72gr bullets very well.

5.I guess the 20" barrel would be overall the best for this dual purpose?

I suppose though my longest is only 16"

6. Are the Bushmasters DPMS and S&W pretty equal in quality or is their one a lot better?

Very subjective but I'd say equal. In fact for the money I'd choose Bushmaster, DPMS, or Rock River over S&W or Colt.

7 My gunshop has rifles from $720-$1020 I guess this is average price for the brands I mentioned?

Sounds bout right

8.Is a scope a good thing on these guns?

Oh yeah, get a flat top (removeable handle). Massive choice in optics.

9. I guess last what do most of you fellows use them for just for fun or actually hunt ?

Yes :) I have some I hunt with, one for home defense only, and some for fun. Very versatile platform.

Others will be along with their opinions as well, so you'll have plenty to think about.

What is this gun for??? I'm assuming all purpose/self defense

Get a 223Wylde camber or a 5.56 NATO chamber. Either of those will shoot anything you would want. Go with a Wylde chamber of you want the very best in accuracy.

They can be sub MOA, but they are not as pin point accurate as a bolt. Still one of the most accurate semis out there though. You can sacrifice reliability of you want the best accuracy for target/varmint hunting... but I use my M4gery for varminting without problems.

I wouldn't go more than 20" in any configuration. It's not worth the extra weight.

I don't think Bushmaster, DPMS, and S&W are all equal, although any of them will most likely serve almost any of your needs. I'd prefer S&W over Bushy, bushy over DPMS.

Scopes work great on AR's.

My primary reason for owning one is self defense. Secondly, for fun and for hunting.

cheygriz

I don't have an S&W, but I have Bushy, Colt and DPMS. IMHO they all three are roughly equal in quality.

If you scope it, take a HARD look at the A.C.O.G. scopes from Trijicon. They were specifically designed for the AR, and are used extensively by our military in the sand box and the Himalayas.