AR15 Question?

TPAW

Do you think a 16" barrel with a 1 and 9 twist will shoot a 75 grain hollow point well?

bedlamite

Lloyd, Hornady 75gr HPBT and Sierra 77gr Match King bullets load to 2.26" with no problems feeding from an AR magazine.

1 in 9 twist might be able to stabilize them, I've heard reports both ways. My varmint upper uses a 1 in 8 twist.

popeyespappy

My M&P15 is a 16” with a 1 in 9 twist. I ran a few Black Hills 75s through it when I first got it along with a bunch of other stuff just to see what she liked. The 75s shot fine out to 100 yards which is as long as I shot that day. You’ll just have to try it and see. Some 1 in 9s will be fine with 75s and some won’t like it at all…..

TPAW

I'll be trying some of the 75 grain out of my RRA Entry Level Tactical, 16 inch barrel and 1 in 9 twist. Wish me luck. Thanks for the responses.

22_Shooter

I've heard that it can very from gun to gun, also.

Twist rate and barrel length have nothing to do with feeding HP's.

If you plan on shooting 75gr almost exclusively, you might as well invest in a 1/7, or even 1/8 twist barrel and rid yourself of the worry.

J. Scott

I found the Hornady 75gr. BTHP to be more accurate in my 1-9 twist varminter than the 77SMK's but you should try them both. I don't think you'll see much difference at 100 yards, perhaps between 4-600.

strat81

75gr bullets are a crap shoot through a 1/9". Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. A 1/8" or 1/7" would be more appropriate.

68/69gr OTM from Hornady and Sierra should work fine in 1/9".

sneaky pete

Hornady 75gr match VS Hornady 75gr A-max

Old /Sneaky here: Had a similar situation with a 1:9 twist bbl for long range( it was a 24" match bbl). Called Hornady--was advised by them the 75gr match projectiles "Should" syabilize with the 1:9 but the 75gr "A"max will not stabilize in a 1:9 bbl---something about the "Ogive" and the overall length of the "A"max projectile