AR15 Opinions, brand

Noreaster

I've been shooting two cheaper AR15s the last couple of years. One is a very cheap M&P Sport and the other is a Windham Weaponry AR15. Both have run great, heavy to moderate use and no issues with either. Started looking at a Colt 6970/40/20 series. Do you see a real benefit to spending a little more on the Colt.

Mobuck

NO

You can't read that logo from the shooting position so as long as the models you've been using are working for you, no reason to spend more.

marine6680

You can build a rifle that is just as good as a colt for 2/3 the cost...

What you have now works, if you feel certain parts are not what you want, changing them out isn't difficult. You could build out the Windham very nice if you wanted.

USMC 77-81

Agree with both above. Personally, I would purchase more ammo or reloading supplies if you reload and shoot more. I will however admit that getting a new gun is exciting. One more thing, if I had 2 AR's already and wanted another gun I would get an M1A.

JayPee

I spent 30 years in LE and I guess I'm a little OCD on this subject. I have to agree with the other fellows until it comes to a firearm intended to defend my life with. I have a long standing, firm rule based on a lifetime of having my life depend on a firearm. That rule is this: my life is worth more than a good bargain, so never confuse a range gun with a defensive gun.

I have a Palmetto M4gery that I like immensely and trust implicitly, etc. etc. etc. BUT I also have a high dollar LMT M4gery that is my ever-cared-for go to rifle in times of imminent danger. I meticulously keep it zeroed, cleaned, lubed, tested, and stored. I fire it only to test it and its magazines, loads, optics, and so on, and never use it as a range/fun gun. I keep it in a safe with a loaded mag in the well and I have total confidence that it will perform well when called upon because of its great quality of manufacture. I feel that way simply because LMT equipment goes to war and Palmetto's equipment doesn't. So I don't have the same assurance with my Palmetto, although I think it is a very good rifle.

So my advice would be to get the Colt for your defensive gun, but use the other rifles to keep your skills updated and sharp. After all, how many LE outfits use Wyndham's, Palmetto's, M&P's, and how many use Colts?

I know this sounds a little over the top, but having your life depend on a gun does that. You already have a couple of good range guns, now get one you are willing to bet your life on (if you intend to use an AR for defense.)

Last edited:

jaytothekizzay

I built a very nice AR , which is very easy I might add... for about a grand. In my opinion that is the way to go. I used all quality parts, consisting of BCM, Midwest Industries, Magpul, and other various top quality MFG's. I learned alot about the platform, and got the exact rifle I wanted.

f407c7642b033f7f3142c5507c086dae.jpg

crane550

I agree with all of the above:

In order of importance:

1. Reload and shoot more. A lot more. The first upgrade is YOU.

2. Brand names don't matter. Only a few components on your rifle actually make a difference when it comes to accuracy and reliability.

3. Build your own rifle, or in your case, upgrade if there are components not up to snuff. There are exceptions to everything, but it's about 75% shooter and 25% of what is being shot. Put your hard earned money into the 75%, and I don't mean by buying accessories. Buy ammo and put it into paper.

Armybrat

But I would like to point out the Colt LE6920 is a perfectly good carbine and is not over priced at current market levels ($900) give or take a few bucks. Nothing wrong or demeaning with buying a factory built gun.

Lots of other good choices out there, and the ones the OP already has are good bargain guns too.

Then again, build-your-own aficionados all seem to have a good time and are pretty happy with their handiwork.

The BRD can infect us all, but in different ways.

marine6680

I prefer a mid gas rifle, so I avoid rifles without it. One reason I don't recommend the Colt... Its a good rifle though.

globemaster3

Since you asked for opinions....

Since you have 2 running fine, I'd only add a third in another configuration of some sort... If your other 2 carbines are set up for home defense, do you need a long range plinker? Hunter? Perhaps different caliber, just to mix it up? SBR? AR-10?

Just some thoughts to juggle in the old noggin.;)

Noreaster

Mostly heavy use training, couple of schools and or seminars every year. I'm in the market for another AR and just wondered if I should go with an M&P15, WW, BM or pay a couple of hundred more for say a Colt. Looking on opinions, would the Colt hold up better over the long run, is it worth it. I own the M&P Sport and the WW is issued.

Dragline45

If you are going to spend the kind of money on a Colt, I would instead put that money towards buying an upper from BCM or Daniel Defense and then building your own rifle off of that. Nothing wrong with Colt, but I personally think BCM or Daniel Defense produce a better product. While many Colt's can be considered milspec, both BCM and Daniel Defense exceed milspec standards. Also right now BCM is offering free BCG's with any upper, something I missed out on and cost me $170.

Here is my rifle I put together last year off of a BCM upper. If anyone is wondering what happened to the bayonet lug I had to cut it off. You can thank the good ol' Commonwealth of Massachusetts for that, also the reason for the fixed stock, we still follow the old AWB of 1994.

2ag865s.jpg

Last edited:

G.barnes

I'd just buy a new upper with a mid length gas system and put it on the sport lower, and put a nice alg trigger in the lower. I prefer mid length because they are softer recoiling and less abusive on internal parts.

BoogieMan

If you have AR's with forged aluminum lowers than your more than half way there. The only 2 things that really effect an AR are the barrel and bolt with the barrel being the biggest single item. The rest is just a holder for those parts.
A Colt is only worth it for bragging purpose.

toppermost

The middle ground...

The middle ground... I tend to spend the extra cash on sights and internals (bolt carrier group, barrel, trigger, springs, etc) and find "deals" on everything else (receivers, grips, etc).

Noreaster

I'm liking the idea of a mid length upper. I've been looking around at mid length uppers on the net and I think this is the way I'm going to go. Just want to make sure I get a good fit on the Sport lower.