AR15/M4gery selection <NEWB>

sanchezero

I'm looking at the RRA and Bushy shortys and have a question about the uppers...

1st - What's the practical difference between these two? Specifally, 1pc forged rails or a bolt-on doodad.

http://rockriverarms.com/rra_le_a2_tactical_car.htm

http://rockriverarms.com/m4_entry_tactical.htm

2nd - How does this upper differ from the Bushy A3 top?

I'm mostly concerned about limiting my sighting/accs choices before I even know what they are. I don't plan on getting a 'scope' (its a shorty) but I may want some sort of reflexive optic thingy at some point...

I apologize for the vague nature of these questions, but I'm pretty much a newb with these long boom-sticks :D
Thanks for your help.

Kharn

The tactical upper has the rail raised up what looks to be 1/2 to 3/4". Definitely something I would try before buying, most people mount their optics on the normal flattop with cheap risers if they need extra height, but getting the Tactical upper forces you to have the optics high up. Also, you wouldnt be able to use the iron sights with any optics mounted on that rail, the rings/base of a red dot would prevent you from seeing through the irons. In my opinion, buy a normal flat top and removable backup irons.

Kharn

yankytrash

As was said before, we really don't think you're going to like the short stock. Between the two, get the A2 CAR with fakey collapsible. Not to mention, the CAR has the Wilson HBAR (barrel), should last longer, theoretically speaking.

The CAR has the "carry handle" you're looking at made into the upper receiver, non-remvable. The M4 is removable for other optics. It's said that the lower you can mount a scope or other optics, the better (more versatile for different ranges). The M4 may not come with the carry handle thats in the picture, so you should probably ask first before purchasing (they run about $80, not cheap IMO).

sanchezero

Thats a carrying handle? Those 2 little grooves?

:eek: A far cry from the A2 I guess :)

So, of the RRAs, go with the removable 'handle'?

BTW- with the 'handle' removed, is the RRA top gonna be the same as the Bushmassa? If not, is it some sort of standardized top that accepts all of the aftermarket stuff floating around?

Yankee- I'm not worried about the short stock as they sell a full length A2 stock for $25. I hate the idea of a pinned 'collapsable'.

Thanks fellas. :D

hotbrass

Get the RRA.....make sure you order one with the chrome barrel
:) Yes...the Top is Mil-spec...Excellent AR rifle. Better quality.

yankytrash

Unless you prefer the M4 profiled barrel, I'd go for the CAR and ask if they can drop a flatop upper on it. I swear you'll be happier with the longevity of the HBAR profile. Or, maybe the M4 and request an HBAR? Whichever...

The only reason I say it, is because with this being your first AR, your going to take it to the freest range you can find and open up on a few 30rd mags with it, aren't you? Comon, tell the truth, you can't wait to empty a 30 or two, can ya? ;) Well, if you don't plan on it, then go get your head shrunk, cuz there's somethin seriously wrong with you! :D

Think of it this way - In competition, a "free-floated" barrel is desired, because the handgaurds in no way rest on the barrel, thus helping accuracy.
No take an M4 barrel's profile. There cutouts on the barrel to accept the M203 grenade launcher. Cool, eh? Well, not really. We had one when I was growing up (well, not an M203, it was some kinda 37mm civilian model). Got to shoot it once with a few flares, woopdido. It really kinda sucked. Now, think of what those cutouts are doing to the barrel. Big part, smalll part, big part, small part. In machining and woodworking, you want consistentcy in cylinders for one reason - the smallest (read "weakest") part of the cylinder is susceptible to breakage. What's stronger, an empty undented beer can, or a solid 1/2" aluminum rod with a 1/8" diameter cutdown in it? The beercan is stronger, because it is consistent.

Don't get me wrong, I have no facts to back me up on this, I didn't read it anywhere, it's just what it seems - keyboard engineering. I'm only tellin ya what I know, and the reason you'll never see me with an M4gery of my own, unless Uncle Sam hands me one. Even then, I'll cry for a M60 or M1A. "223 hurts like a flea, 762 turns his gut into goo".

But I digress.... ;)

You make your own decision, but try to stay away from "coolness" factor as much as you can, unless that's the tie-breaker. You'll be happier with something that will last you a lifetime, and you rarely hear of 15-year-old M4's. There's a reason for that, if I'm not mistaken.

Just my uninformed advice, $.02 if you will.

JIH

Actually, a solid aluminum cylinder isn't as strong as a empty one.

I watched Mr. Wizard and stuff.

Jack19

I'm with YankyTrash on this one. I had an Bushmaster M4 for awhile, it was cool looking and all but launching grenades would probably happen well...never.

I sold it, bought a Bushmaster Shorty AK, with an A2 stock and A2 top, and a few mags with the $$, I'm VERY happy. (I think I'm one of the relatively few who likes the AK brake.) :D