AR15/M14/M4 etc dry lube

riggins_83

Has anybody here tried Sentry Solutions Smooth-Kote Dry Lubricant on an automatic or semiautomatic rifle (or any other particular dry lube?) I'm curious what your experience was with it and what dry lube you'd recommend. I've heard a few good things about Sentry lube but have never tried it.

FALPhil

Nope, haven't used Sentry Solutions Smooth-Kote Dry Lubricant, but I just about use this stuff on all my guns these days:
41JQ7-eFMnL.jpg

Works on my FALs (especially good on the recoil spring), M1As, ARs, and AKs. I also use it on all my autoloading handguns. The coldest I have every used it in is 17F (-8C), but I see no reason why it would not work in colder weather. It goes on wet, and the carrier evaporates, leaving the teflon behind.

Also good for lockwork. Being dry, it does not keep dust and grit in the firearm.

riggins_83

I need something dry because it will be used in Iraq and or Afghanistan (a relative being deployed) and he wants something that won't attract sand and dust.

AK103K

I take it they still dont issue this then....

GI issue Circa 1970's
ry%3D400

You can still get it, and it does work, but it is messy until it drys.

M14's still need grease though, dont they?

I used the Sentry Solutions with AR15s back around 1998-1999. I didn't have a lot of luck with it, so I stopped using it.

Having said that, at the time I was using the Sentry Solutions stuff, my knowledge of ARs wasn't even 1/10th of what it is today, so it is possible there is some operator error in there. Still, my experience has been that ARs like wet lubes and a lot of it.

B. Lahey

CLP for ARs, grease for M14s. They are by far the best options. Dust and sand doesn't matter, if anything it requires the use of more wet lubes, not less. It allows the crud granules to be suspended in lube and not grinding against things so much.

FALPhil

Compared to the sandpaper effect of a crud and dry-lube combo, it is not something to worry about.
Except that dry teflon lube doesn't work like that. Seriously. You ought to try it. If you don't like it, it takes 5 minutes to change back.

Shawn Dodson

I need something dry because it will be used in Iraq and or Afghanistan (a relative being deployed) and he wants something that won't attract sand and dust.

Just say NO to dry lube! I suggest Slip2000 lube.

You (and your relative) must read retired USMC CWO Pat Rogers' article Keep Your Carbine Running

Last edited: