AR15, flattop vs. carry handle?

Zak Smith

I am a newbie to AR-15 type rifles, but have been shooting various other conventional rifles for a long time (target 22's, .30-30, .30-06, .270, 7x57, etc, both scoped and iron).

When I look on the Bushmaster web site, I see flat-top and carry-handle versions of the otherwise same rifle setup. Why would someone choose a flat-top vs. carry handle version? What are they designed or meant for?

I understand that the carry handle incorporates basic iron sights, however I have also seen carry-handle models with a scope mounted, so what's the deal?

thanks!

NJW

Typically, you get the flat top when you plan on mounting a scope. The mounts on the carry handels place the scope way to high and they can cause acccuracy problems because they aren't as solid as should be.
I wanted to mount a red dot scope on my M4 top end so I wanted the flat top. I mounted a GG&G scout rail and a flip up iron sight for a back up. Here is my setup, it is a Colt M4 16" upper w/vortec flash hider and an Aimpoint red dot on the GG&G rail w/ back up sight. I usually make the inserted pics smaller but I left it larger so you can see the scope & rail set up. Sorry if causes any problems.

View

NJW in AZ

[This message has been edited by NJW (edited January 29, 2000).]

Zak Smith

NJW - thanks for the info and pic. Does the front sight post interfere with the view?
Can it be removed easily?

I assume there are iron sights can be mounted on a flat-top, correct?

thanks again
Zak

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Smithz;

I know with a regular scope the front sight is so close that it just blurs out. Does this have an effect on the view in a scope... I'm sure it does in the "scientific" sense but it doesn't make that much of a difference in the real world. I've got a Flattop that I alternate sights/scopes on and haven't been able to notice a different. The only problem I found was with my frontsight's tritium insert. When mounting/using a night vision scope I have to tape over the tritium or it fades out the image in the NV scope.

If you look very close at NJW's pic you will notice a knob at the rear of the GG&G Rail. This is the flip up rear sight that they make. In the Pic it is flipped down if I'm not mistaken.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

NJW

Smithz,

I did mention that I have iron sights on my AR, the rear sight is a flip up and is in the lowerd position in the picture as schmit noted.

Go here and get a better look at it, I have the regular A2 flip up - http://www.gggaz.com/page10.html

You can also just mount a regular carrying handle that has the regular A2 sights to a flat top and it will be just like a regular AR. I have the removable carrying handle for my AR, I took it off to to mount the optic.
The front sight does not interfere, I don't even notice it when I am shooting. The way I have my AR set up is when I flip up the rear sight, I can use the iron sights through the optic. They are in the lower 3rd of the optic so if my dot goes out I can flip up my sight and keep shooting. Some use a see through mount but I prefer keeping the optic low to the reciever and using the irons through it. The mount is also a quick detach so if it does stop working, I can remove it and use my iron sights normally.

HTH,

NJW in AZ

Mikey

smithz,

Unless you plan on shooting DCM matches there is really no reason why you shouldn't go with the flat top. Flat tops are not legal for DCM matches but that is the only drawback.

The flat top allows the mounting of a vast array of sighting/lighting options while still allowing the use of the handle if that is your desire.

View

Mine is a Colt flat top but, since it is my only AR at present, I choose to leave the handle attached and mount the optics (a HITECH QD system) to the handle. If I happen to buy another at the gun show today, I may choose to have one as a dedicated optically sighted rifle and another with irons only. If they are both flat tops, I can mix and match!

Mikey

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Y'all showing pics of your AR makes me want to post one of my. Only I don't have one. OH... wait... I do have one kind of. It a photo of my Daughter holding my AR.

I'd post the photo but seeing there are already a couple posting it would probably put it over 100K mark and I'd have to lock the thread. Sooo

http://www.acmecity.com/rosie/luck/394/sig.jpg

Disclaimer : I've already been flamed for this, and other photos. Firearm was checked by two adults to ensure it was unloaded. One adult (my wife ;) ) was present to supervise this photo session.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)

dZ

the carry handle AR is kinda more "social" in it's intent

nothing to loose
strong as it needs to be

buy either
you will have the other upper soon enough!

dZ

fubsy

The best setup Ive seen so far is one of a pair a friend did for himself....a bushmaster flattop with the intermediate swan sleeve(allows for his night vision equip), an mxd aimpoint, ...when you take the rear sight and pop it up from the swann sleeve and turn on the mxd you have all the aiming "centered" directly on top of the front sight post.....its a very nice setup... he's also added the tritum in the iron sights and on one has the vortec and on the other is trying the phamtom .....must be nice to have the preban stuff to play with....fubsy.

Svt

What do you guys think of the Colts with the detachable handles?

------------------
Svt
Son's Place

Guns don't kill innocent people. Democrats kill innocent people.

Rosco Benson

Cute kid, Schmit. Anyone who would give you grief over such a picture needs to be asked, "Did you ever take a photo of your kid sitting at the wheel of a farm tractor, atop a horse before they could ride, astride Daddy's motorcycle, et cetera?...how exactly does that differ from a posed picture with a doubly-checked empty firearm?"

That's assuming, of course, that they expressed their opinion of the photo in such a way as to deserve just a rhetorical question as their rebuke. If they voiced their opinion in the squealing strident rant so common among the sheeple, then I'm sure you learned some phrases in the USMC that would suffice as proper responses.

Rosco

Nukem

If you plan on shooting any CMP/DCM service rifle matches, you can't use a flat top AR with the removable carry handle.

Here's my flattop:
View

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Origianlly posted by Rosco Benson
I'm sure you learned some phrases in the USMC that would suffice as proper responses.
[/quote]

Why Rosco, what ever gave you that idea? :)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)