AR15 Chamber

torquewrench

I purchased a new AR15 Upper. I took is down and cleaned it.
When I chambered a round, I had a heck of a time pulling the charging handle back to clear the round. It was really stuck.
I am new to ARs.. I have only had bold action rifles. I never had such a time getting an unfired round out of the chamber.
Any advice?

Darren Roberts

When replacing the bolt carrier does it slide in smooth or does it have a spot that consistantly "grabs" when inserting it? I had one from bravo company I had to send back because of a faulty bolt carrier...Not sure how it happened but it was just a hair of measurement.
If it is just stiff it could just need to be used. Oil and clean often.

g.willikers

What did the round look like?
Any indications of the problem on either the bullet or case?
Maybe you have the slightly longer .556 military ammo and your gun has a slightly shorter commercial .223 chamber?

DnPRK

You are experiencing stickiness between the bolt lugs and the companion surfaces of the barrel extension. This is normal. Once the bolt/barrel extension wears in, you won't have a problem extracting chambered rounds.

As an interim solution, put a dab of grease on the back of each bolt lug.

Palmetto-Pride

Whats happening is the bolt is not wanting to rotate and unlock from the chamber, this is normal for new ARs (especially tight ones) when trying to manually pull a round out.

Last edited:

Mobuck

I use grease on my AR bolt lugs/barrel extension and the cam pin. At the very least, grease these parts during the initial firing and breakin. I don't drag my rifles through the sand and dirt so the fact that grease holds grit is not an issue. The grease will stay in place better than liquid and let all the parts get used to one another.
Another quirky thing I do is manually work the BCG for 2-3 minutes before shooting a new upper to work the parts in just a little. I like to see the BCG slide into position and lock by gravity if I release it holding the seperated upper at a 45* muzzle down angle.
You may also have a tight chamber or some substance(oil/grease) in the chamber. Be advised, you can damage the charging handle by using too much force trying to pull a stuck case.

velocette

+1 on the use of high quality grease on the back of the bolt's locking lugs and on & in the cam pin. Very effective and yields a smooth, slick working rifle. I also use the same grease on the BCG wear surfaces. However, on the bolt itself where it fits into the BCG, I use oil in that area and the gas rings.

Roger

chadio

posted by torquewrench:
..... "Ain't got no gas in it" .. quote from Sling Blade.

:D One of my favorite movies :D

Question: if you separate the upper and remove BCG, what happens if you simply chamber / remove a cartridge by hand? Any friction / resistance going on there?

Sinlessorrow

its an AR, they like to be run WET, just like i like my women.

get a high quality oil, i use Mobil 1 5W30, keep it wet and itll run like a dream

Crioche

Try this:

1. Check for fouling in your chamber and barrel extension
2. Check for burrs on the locking lugs of the bolt

torquewrench

great info from all. I learned a lot about lubing an ar from this thread. that wasnt the problem though. (i am still going to use the grease to lube the bolt). I bought an rcbs small base resizing die for 223. made up 10 dummy rounds. they cycle betrer than factory rounds. I didnt know about small base dies for auto and semiauto.

Edward429451

I laughed when I got my Bushmaster and was reading all the oiling points to put a drop of oil on because by the time you're done it's dripping. They could've saved a lot of ink by just sayin dip in oil. :D