AR10 - .308 recoil question

bk40

Anyone own or shot a AR10 rifle? I've got an opportunity to purchase an Armalite 16" in this cartridge... but, would like to know what to expect recoil wise. The only AR type rifle I own at this time is a Bushmaster Shorty AK. So, any type of recoil comparsions would be most appreciated.

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
What does it weigh? Any .308 over 7-1/2 to 8 pounds won't have notable recoil. Well, not to me, at 6' and 175 pounds...

To generalize: Most semi-autos seem to have less perceived recoil than bolt actions of equal weight. Other than the 7mm Mag, hardly any cartridge under 30-caliber in a rifle of around eight pounds is bothersome. The .308 is sorta betwixt and between, with a .30-'06 and 180-grain bullets as the beginning of "noticeable" recoil. More than that, and nine pounds and up starts getting more attractive. But 10 to 11 pounds starts being un-fun to carry in the field.

Now, all this is just generalizing. I don't mean it as "take it to the bank" stuff.

Away from a bench rest, lots of thumpers' recoil is not noticed if the target is Bambi, an elk, etc. Adrenaline is a wonderful recoil-reducer.

:), Art

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
bk40 - I just traded my AR-10 off. I fired about 75 rounds through it. The recoil was very mild. One, the stock design is very good and two, the muzzle brake works very well.

I traded the rifle due to the excessive muzzle blast and the cost of the magazines.

The accuracy was superb. If I find a case of M14 mags for dirt cheap and get another AR-10, I'll get a flat top as the rifle deserves optics. It's that accurate.

The trigger (two-stage) was excellent for an AR also.

Giz

RikWriter

Gizmo, there are deals out there on M14 mags if you look. Coles just had a deal for 10 USGI mags for $310 shipped that I took advantage of to get hicap mags for my new AR10.