AR: UTG aluminum handguards - how bad/good?

pilpens

How bad is the UTG handguard?

I want to put a forward grip on my AR but I do not want to spend a lot.
This AR is primarily a range paper shooting.

What do you think of just adding a bolt on picatinny rail to existing platic handguard?

imp

I have had a UTG rail on my midlength rifle. I was very happy with it, except for the weight, which is why I took it off....its for sale if you need one.

If your just going with a foregrip, the a small rail section screwed to the stock handguards will work fine also.

For what its worth, my brother has a midwest quad rail on his rifle, and wished he had bought an UTG rail...:D

Technosavant

I have a Midwest Industries quad rail on my rifle- it works fine, locks up tight. My only complaint is that it's a circular profile, making it rather wide. Compare it to an actual high quality rail with an ovoid profile and there's no comparison- the ovoid feels better.

UTG, from what I've read, is ok, it just isn't great. MI is definitely budget, but it works well. Spending more gets things that feel nicer and may be more nicely finished.

If all I wanted to do was mount a forward grip, I'd probably get a Magpul MOE grip and a rail section- it's going to be the cheapest and highest quality solution.

imp

MMcfpd
Quote:
I have had a UTG rail on my midlength rifle...I took it off....its for sale...

...my brother...wished he had bought an UTG rail...
Y'all should talk.

His rifle is a m4, mines a midlength....otherwise I'd give it to him.

I have an extened UTG quad rail on a carbine and have had it for a while now. It is the model with the floated extension around and in front of the front sight tower. It is not, however, a floated quad rail. I think I paid $75 for it with rail covers and it works just fine.

As for the notion that UTG is for Airsoft, I just about spewed my soda when I read that.

The absolute cheapest way to go, that I have found, if you just want to add a vertical grip for general range stuff would be to go this way...

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/...re_Code=J&Product_Code=1505N&Category_Code=AA

You will get a rail, mounting hardward to mount the rail to the bottom of your handguards, and a vertical grip for $17 plus tax. I have gone this route twice and been quite pleased with the result.

RT

I know it's wiki, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTG
"UTG or Under the Gun is an airsoft brand that is owned by Leapers. Under the name UTG, the company began making airsoft accessories, including gun cases, vests and scopes as well as rebranding lower end Chinese-made guns from WELL, CYMA, AGM, and Double Eagle and packaging them with accessories."

Yes, it is wikipedia. Did you try looking at the UTD website itself. Yes, they make airsoft accessories. They also make AR15, AK47, and SKS accessories.

Maybe I don't understand airsoft that well, but UTG makes a .223 broken shell extractor. Are broken shells common in airsoft? I didn't even know they took cartridges.

I also see that they sell stripper clips.

http://www.u-t-g.com/zen/index.php

However, let's look more closely at your wiki reference, shall we?

Let's see... here it is at the bottom of the page...

UTG also produces many other products including scopes, flashlights, and tactical gear, many of which are compatible with or are intended for real firearms.

According to your reference, UTG makes some products that are NOT intended for airsoft.

Ridge_Runner_5

UTG is bottom of the barrel stuff. I would not trust them to hold up to the minimal recoil of a .223...

If you want an affordable drop in railed handguard, I'd get a Midwest Industries or Daniel Defense Omega...

You know, they aren't top of the line, but then again, most of the junk out there isn't either.

Do y'all have any evidence that UTG stuff won't hold up or is crap, or are you just posturing? The OP isn't going to be assaulting a terrorist camp in Afghanistan or anything like that.

My quad rails have certainly held up quite well, as well as the Knight's Armament rails a buddy of mine has and his rails only cost $270 more than mine. What is the point of shelling out big bucks when it isn't necessary?

Checked out Midway. Here are some carbine quad rails with 28 reviews and rated very well by customers....
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=316070

In looking at the other UTG products, they seem to have generally good ratings at Midway as well.

Last edited:

spyderdude

I had a set of UTG handguards on the first M&P15 I had and they worked just fine and didn't wobble at all. As long as they are functional it doesn't matter if you go with UTG, Troy Industries, or Daniel Defense. I can't see myself paying more than 200 dollars for a set of drop in hand guards and unless you really abuse your AR the UTG handguards will work just fine.

I sold my first M&P15 but bought a second one later and threw on some Troy Industries hand guards and they look better IMO. Functional wise... they are both pretty much the same.

tirod

The fact that UTG IS and airsoft parts provider is scant assurance the handguards are quality aluminum, CNC to spec, or treated to a proper working hardness.

In fact, posts elsewhere by owners point out that their UTG handguards are soft aluminum, the rails not machined to spec, and won't hold up to carbine course work or tactical use.

No known builder or maker of AR's offers them as original equipment. Nuff said.

As for quad rails, they are past their prime years ago. Even then, very few needed 48" of rail to mount everything, and mounting everything is the worst thing to do with a combat carbine. Internet posers post pictures of there kitted out AR's with three times the money in lights and lasers than the gun is worth. Combat users have just one or two items.

These days, with consolidated light systems in a vertical grip, spending money for more than an add on rail is more than needed. To repeat a thought, it's not like someone is really going into combat with it.

ronl

If all you want is a vert grip, I'd just get a section of rail and attach it to your existing handguards. Good, inexpensive way to go. I did that in order to put a bipod on my AR and it works just fine. As to UTG, I put a UTG vert grip on my Robarms XCR because it just felt better in my hand and had a very good battery storage compartment. In addition, it had a slot for the green laser switch that worked very well. I could have spent a whole lot more, but to me it is all about what is more comfortable.

TCman

I had a UTG handguard and hated from the time I put it on my rifle. It made the gun really nose heavy, and looked like crap. I replaced it with a free float rail from Troy Industries and havent looked back. A quality rail is leaps and bounds better than UTG's.

As for quad rails, they are past their prime years ago.

Wow, I guess the US military and countless SWAT teams didn't get your message. If they are past their prime, what have they been replaced with?

Even then, very few needed 48" of rail to mount everything, and mounting everything is the worst thing to do with a combat carbine. Internet posers post pictures of there kitted out AR's with three times the money in lights and lasers than the gun is worth. Combat users have just one or two items.

Once again, they didn't get your message.

Check out these soldiers...
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...61&sa=N&start=21&um=1&ei=dIRuS8mNFY72Mr2f-eIE

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...61&sa=N&start=21&um=1&ei=dIRuS8mNFY72Mr2f-eIE

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_M-16A4_Marine_Gharma_Iraq_lg.jpg

Well, I guess guys aren't combat users as many have more than 2 items on their quad rails.

smince

Wow, I guess the US military and countless SWAT teams didn't get your message.
Hanging a bunch of crap on your rifle doesn't necessarily make it a more efficient fighting tool. An optic, light and perhaps a VFG are sufficient for any need.

Hanging a bunch of crap on your rifle doesn't necessarily make it a more efficient fighting tool. An optic, light and perhaps a VFG are sufficient for any need.

No, it doesn't, but it doesn't necessarily make you less efficient either. For some, it most definitely does make them more efficient. It all depends on one's needs. However, tirod claims the item limit is 2. More than two and you are an internet poser. God Bless the "internet posers" in Iraq and Afghanistan. I guess those guys are too well trained and equipped to know that they are "internet posers" under tirod's classification scheme. They think that they are soldiers. Go figure.

Technosavant

For most, 4 rail handguards are overkill, but that's mainly what there is. I'm not really a fan of the look of regular handguards with rail sections attached (but when it's your rifle, you do your thing). I do like Magpul's MOE handguard with rail sections, and if you were going to just go with a light and forward grip it would be plenty sufficient.

My rifle wears a 4 rail guard, but that's because it's what there was. I kinda wish there was something like the Troy TRX Extreme in two piece drop in installation- the strength of metal with the minimalism of only the rails you want (placed where you want them).