AR Upper/Kit manufacturers

jefnvk

OK, I am thinking about building an AR. Could anyone point me towards a few manufacturers/distributors for either a complete upper or kit? Right now, I know of m-aparts.com and model1sales.com, but I have heard many poor reviews of them. Also the biggies (ABC's, DPMS, RRA), but they don't really seem to handle uppers as much, just the complete rifles.

So, any others that are decent? Or, should I stick to the biggies, and try to find an upper from them?

EDIT: also, any opinions on Fulton Armory?

Don't remember the manufacturer, but the Shotgun News has an ad in there every time about a company that sells uppers for only around $400 - $500. It may be cheaper, but that's by my memory. I can't remember the name of them, and I would look it up, but I have already read and thrown away my latest issue. They are reliable! I talked to one of the smithies there one time, and he said that they have a contract with all of the big names out there. They manufacture the complete uppers, and Armalite (for instance) buys their upper and puts a rifle together.

carolinaflats

Rock River Arms offers both part kits and separate uppers and lowers. I'm just starting a build myself and plan on using mostly RRA parts. Good luck with your build!

2002gti

i have an m-a and rra upper and the fit/finish on the rra blows away the m-a. the prices on m-a are very good though.

jefnvk

How are JT and Del-Ton compared to one of the regular manufactureres? I am assuming they are a step up over Model 1 and MA. Either of those two looks like what I want for how much I want to spend.

EDIT: are those ADCO uppers RRA's?

lance658

Bushamaster has a nice catalog full of cool stuff with an exploded drawing and specific items, lots of uppers with barrels...

patsfan

I have a J&T upper, they use Shaw barrels (same as Colt) and are rifled for 5.56. It fits great on my RRA lower, I havent purchased one from Delton but they have an good rep in the community. I have purchased from ADCO and they are excellent to deal with, they sell the basic RRA uppers and custom ones which use Douglas and WOA barrels- all top of the line. If you see one that interests you kick him and email- he's fast with responses. If moneys not an issue grab a custom built one but if you want an AR under 600$ grab one of these http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=AMMK&Category_Code=K and slap it on a stag lower. Either way you wont be dissapointed.

Patsfan

jefnvk

OK, thanks. Like I said, right now I am about 95% sure it will be either a J&T or Del-ton 20" A2 upper, with most likely a Stag lower, unless some good deal pops up on another quality forged lower next week at the gun show.

I notice the JT kit has a Shaw barrel, and the Del-ton has a Wilson. Any real difference in quality between the two? Also, the Del-ton I can upgrade to a DPMS for $18, again, is that something worth it?

EDIT: Does Sherluk have a website? All I can find is an under construction page.

G56

J&T has excellent kits, I believe the Shaw and Wilson barrels are both good barrels, I have shot sub 1/4" groups at 100 yds with my J&T Bull Barrel kit.

jefnvk

One other option, too, I just found. This is what I really want to do. Sarco has new Colt M16 parts kits, minus the auto sear and lower reciever. Original military equpiment, and I am told they are still in cosmo :D I'd really like that route, so if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them (AR15 has a pretty good response)

chaotic1

I have a stag lower and it works fine.

I have also recently bought a LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool) upper. The quality of this upper is fantastic. Give Bravo a call they will treat you right!

jefnvk

Thanks, I've been through the AR15 list.

I have made a choice. If Sarco can guarantee me a good new or slightly used M16 parts kit, I'm going with that. Otherwise, it'll be a J&T A2 kit.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know when it is done :D

kittyhawk

I got a M&A 16 inch car flat top with flutted barel parts kit with RRA nm trigger and M4 6 position stock for under $500 I got it in 4 days put it on a forged dpms. The fit and finish were tops.
It shoots Very good 1 1/4 with win 64 pp
and 1 inch with samson match.

Dave

homeka45

CDNN also has some small hole A1 and A2 Colt uppers for good prices ($399 w/o B/BC/CH). Supposed to be in new condition. They even throw in the A1 stock if you buy the upper.