AR Style 308 or M1A?

Logs

azredhawk44

Your M1A link is for a California-compliant model with a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider, and had no bayonet lug.

You might consider this:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_41/products_id/27446

This has a synthetic stock for $50 less, which will hold up a bit better over time than a wood one. The wood stocks compress as you disassemble/reassemble the rifle. The fiberglass stocks don't suffer from this flaw.

This particular one also has a flash hider instead of muzzle brake... but doesn't appear to have a bayonet lug. I like the lug just for the "ornery" factor, to spite anti's. I still don't have an M14 bayonet, but my M14 and AR-15 both have lugs!

*The M1A will come with very good sights, whereas the AR10 is a flat-top with no sights.
*The M1A will balance better for standing or kneeling shooting, since the weight centers on the receiver rather than being forward heavy like an AR design typically is.
*The M1A has an open receiver design which aids in extraction and malfunction clearing.
*The M1A can be fed from stripper clips when you run out of magazines.
*The M1A can be accurized to be a sub 0.5 MOA rifle if you've got the time, knowledge or money to do so.
*The M1A is a gas piston design rather than direct gas impingement on the bolt assy. This means it is "more likely" to run longer between cleanings than an AR, history being the judge of that.
*The M1A is less "scary looking" if you happen to have it slung over your shoulder in public (hunting, plinking, home defense, etc).
*The M1A is almost 1/2 a pound lighter than the AR10.

MTMilitiaman

Admittedly, many of the quantifiable variables favor the AR. It is more modular, easier to scope, and possibly more accurate out of the box.

However, while the AR may have a slight accuracy advantage, the M1A is likely to have a slight reliability advantage. Neither advantage will be appreciable for most uses, but both are probably present. It is easier to make the M1A more accurate than it is to make the AR more reliable. And many of the intangibles seem to favor the M1A, in my experience. At least personally, the M1A offers a far better shooting experience--almost incomparably so. It feels more solid, points and balances better for me, and for me as a lefty, the control placement and ergonomics are far better. Plus, it doesn't have that annoying 'SPOING' sound next to your head every time you pull the trigger. The AR will be easier to field strip for cleaning, but the M1A will require less of it to stay in peak operating condition. The AR may be cheaper initially, but is about the only semi-auto 7.62x51 on the market that the M1A can actually boast to have cheaper and more readily available mags than.

I say get the M1A.

SR420

When and if an ultra reliable AR-10 becomes available I will buy one... meanwhile, I am more than happy with my SEI built M14s.

M14SE/MK14 SEI = AK47 Reliability combined with < MOA 7.62mm x 51 Accuracy.

The AR-10A4 carbine I sold pictured with my MK14 SEI Mod 1
16and18.jpg

Last edited:

Jason_G

This has a synthetic stock for $50 less, which will hold up a bit better over time than a wood one. The wood stocks compress as you disassemble/reassemble the rifle. The fiberglass stocks don't suffer from this flaw.

This particular one also has a flash hider instead of muzzle brake... but doesn't appear to have a bayonet lug. I like the lug just for the "ornery" factor, to spite anti's. I still don't have an M14 bayonet, but my M14 and AR-15 both have lugs!

Springfield doesn't make them with lugs. They may have at one time, I don't know, but you'd have to get a USGI flash suppressor to mount a bayo these days.

As far as the OP's question, I prefer the M1A. The AR15 will have better accuracy per dollar spent, but to me the AR platform (I will be crucified for saying this) has no soul. Of course this is a personal thing you will have to work out for yourself. Get the one that 'speaks" to you.
For me the M1A/M14 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on... at least 'till you have to go buy ammo.

Jason

navajo

which

Sold an AR 10 yesterday so I am down to two. Armalite.
Most accurate gas gun out of the box I have ever seen is my 10A4. Carbine is slightly less so.
Of the three I had one mag malfunction. Too much phosphate inside.

Of the seven M1As I have owned, still have one, not one malfunction of any kind. Ever. Thats over a thirty year peroid. Surplus, factory and hand loads, not one.

Either/or. Get what you like.
Personal preference is the M1A.

And yes, SAI made them with bayonete lugs. At one time SAI offered folding stocks as well as E2 stocks.

Last edited:

10-96

Another point...
If you're a BLO, Tung Oil, or Tru-Oil junkie- you'll feel silly rubbing oil into AR stocks.:D

Seriously, I had a rich dude's kid trade me a Bushmaster XM15A2 Pre-ban for a SA M1A NM plus $100. He said the M1A was too heavy, too loud, and it scared him. My newly acquired M1A had one 20rnd mag fed through it and still had that stained but kinda bare looking SA wood (also zero lube). I did the tung oil 'once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and am up to once a month for 4 months so far' thing. It looks dang good- I may stop where it is as far as add'l coats.

roklok

I was facing the same decision earlier this year, M1A or AR-10. I went with an M1A bush rifle and am extremely pleased. It is ultra reliable and its accuracy far exceeded my expectations. I posted some pics of groups I have shot at 100 yards on the "convince me to buy M1A Scout rifle" thread in this forum.

nemoaz

AR10 is a superior design (straight stock, alloy, more accurate) but it is essentially still an experimental weapon since it's never been adopted by anyone and thus never had full development to get all the kinks out.
Therefore, I agree with the others who say M1a.

navajo

adopted

Slight correction.
The original AR 10 was adopted by the Dutch and Sudan.
Experimental?
The AR 10 was brought in 1955 some 10 years before the -15.
You would be suprised how mant current versions are in the sand box.

The M-16 was not adopted by the US military it was forced on the US military.

Last edited:

Logs

Thanks for the help, I plan on getting one or the other in the next few weeks. I was kind of leaning towards the M1A so I could shoot a Perry match next year with my Garand. I love my AR's and the Armalite is tempting. I will post pics either way.

Thanks again.