AR Stoner upper

Cheapshooter

Sold by Midwsy. Who actually makes them, and what's your opinion. Midway has a complete 450 Bushmaster AR Stoner upper on sale now for $319, and I think also free shipping right now.
How's that sound for a thumper/plinker/ blaster/possible hunter build?

kymasabe

I don't know who makes them , but having read many reviews on them, most buyers seem to be happy with them, they seem to work pretty well, and quality/fit/finish seems to be around that of Bear Creek. So, she may not be the prettiest, but most report it gets the job done.

stagpanther

If you're not wanting to especially put one together yourself--probably not a bad way to go, though stoner stuff in my experience is not "top shelf" grade--but adequate. If I wanted a big bore pounder I would get a 458 socom from tromix--or put it together from their parts.

Cheapshooter

Stagpanther, comparing apples, and apples the 450 Bushmaster AR Stoner upper from Midway is $319, and free shipping. They also have a 458 Socom listed, but out of stock. It's price before shipping, and sales tax is $599. Two hundered eighty bucks will buy a lot of brass, bullets, or loaded ammo. Or another complete upper for another build.
Looking just strictly at loaded ammo, Hornady 's 450 Bushmaster FTX load is right there with their Leverevolution 45-70 rounds. So in comparison, even with a few thousandth of an inch bullet diameter difference, the 450 Bushmaster is very much an AR based, semi-automatic 45-70.

stagpanther

Stagpanther, comparing apples, and apples the 450 Bushmaster AR Stoner upper from Midway is $319, and free shipping. They also have a 458 Socom listed, but out of stock. It's price before shipping, and sales tax is $599. Two hundered eighty bucks will buy a lot of brass, bullets, or loaded ammo. Or another complete upper for another build.
Looking just strictly at loaded ammo, Hornady 's 450 Bushmaster FTX load is right there with their Leverevolution 45-70 rounds. So in comparison, even with a few thousandth of an inch bullet diameter difference, the 450 Bushmaster is very much an AR based, semi-automatic 45-70.
Purely subjective--but the 458 socom is the better designed cartridge between the two IMO--and nobody makes them better--again just my opinion--than Tromix. A few hundred bucks more maybe. But you're going to feel that power banging away at every component in the AR with every shot, one reason I feel it's worth the extra money. I happen to think the field of 458 projectiles is better, too, than those for the 450. Either way you'll need a large ejection port and special bolt; your shoulder will thank you for a good compensator as well.

sevt_chevelle

Doesn't .458 socom require a specific upper receiver and .450 bushmaster is fine in standard AR upper?

Nope, both fit the standard AR-15 upper, but one does need to enlarge the ejection port slightly. You can also buy "Big Bore" uppers that already have this mod done.

I went 450 route, ammo is far cheaper and I live in straight walled state.

Ifishsum

I've got two of their 5.56 uppers and one in 7.62x39mm, all reasonably accurate and trouble free (just a small mod to the 7.62 bolt for improved reliability with imported steel cased ammo). Don't have a high number of rounds through any of them and none are intended for serious work but they work for me for what I use them for.

I don't know anything of who makes them for Midway other than some speculation I've seen.

jetinteriorguy

I've had one of their uppers in 7.62x39 for a couple years now and it's been fine. I don't shoot it a lot, maybe around 500 rounds, but it's consistently shot sub 2 MOA out to 300 yds and been 100% reliable.

Mike7b

I have their 450 bushmaster and I'm very happy with it, fit and finish and accuracy. I thought it would be perfect for hunting in the brush and timberlands up here, can't wait til deer season to see if I'm right. I also have a ar stoner pistol in 300 blackout that gets heavy use. Both have been trouble free and well worth the money. Imo.

44caliberkid

I have their side charger upper in 5.56. Great product, no problems. A lot of us midwesterners are limited to straight wall cases for hunting, so 450 Bushmaster is the only choice. But I have a 458 SOCOM just for fun.

Emerson Biggies

My AR Stoner 9mm upper was not compatible with the Endomag magazines when used with PSA AR lower. The bolt carrier had to be replaced for it to work. Otherwise the upper I bought was of good quality.