AR Sights and Muzzle Devices

Bigfatts

So I just ordered a Diamondback DB15FDE and it will need some sights. Eventually it will get some sort of optic, probably a red dot- not likely a scope. So I will need something along the lines of BUIS. I have no clue which ones are good and bad. I've been reading reviews and stuff but I'd like input I can trust a little more. Have been looking at sights from Magpul, Troy, etc. this will be a working rifle, not a target gun- I have a 20" HBAR for that. Any input is appreciated.

Also looking for a suggestion to replace the A2 flash hider. I do not need a muzzle brake on a 5.56 so a flash hider will be fine. I do not have a suppressor so do not need a base for one. There are a myriad of options out there, so many that it's confusing. What are you guys using that you like?

zukiphile

I am cheap, and my two cents will reflect that.

Have you ever broken a scope while you were out shooting? I haven't. I admit that I have a magpul rear pop-up that came as a package with a palmetto purchase, but so far I have successfully resisted the urge to add a set of sights to scoped ARs.

As for the flashhider, the one that came with it is already paid for. I will admit to being tempted by the Kaw Valley product, but the "regular" flashhider that came with the item is inoffensive enough.

CTS

I would skip the back ups altogether and look at some Primary Arms red dot sights if that is what you are after anyway. They have some pretty decent stuff. Their Micros are right at $100 or just over time you add shipping and you won't likely find a set of flip up sights for less.

Ibmikey

YHM makes a variety of flip sights as does many like manufacturers and they are quality...about $180. For a set. PSA has a less expensive set that works just fine, all of these these are steel or aluminum. Magpul sights are also quite serviceable, it depends on your preferences. I use iron sights on all my AR's and rely heavily on my ability to hit a target with them, red dot or scopes have their place but real sights are most important.

9x19

I use MagPul BUIS, and have been very happy with them... I seriously doubt I'll ever need them, but I think the same thing about my CCW and yet I still carry it everyday.

The standard A2 flash hider does its job about as well as any of the later models... the only reason to change is for looks. On a carbine with all that barrel showing, I prefer the XM177 style in a slip-over model. just helps break up that long profile.

Bigfatts

Zukiphile- I've never broken an optic but I am very fond of iron sights. Plus, a set of irons now will allow me to use the rifle until I save for an Eotech or something. Choosing an optic opens a whole other can of worms.

I have been looking at the Magpul sights. They seem like a decent set of sights for the money. But they are polymer correct? Has anyone had any problems with that? I like the sight picture they give, but polymer always makes me pause. I just now got my first polymer pistol...

me26245

AR stuff

I've been using the Magpul BUIS for my builds and have had no real issues. I use only the black colored ones.

I have noticed that sometimes there is a little flash residue from the plastic molding process in the rear sight aperture which can be annoying if your not used to it. I've used an appropriately sized drill bit to remove that flash residue.

As for a flash hider ALL I use are Smith Vortex. Check out u-tube for videos showing how well it works. They also make suppressors that can be attached to the Vortex.

papershotshells

Big,

BUIS on an AR with optics are like a fire extinguisher, you hope you never need them, but I'd never leave home without them. As far as a recommendation, the MagPuls are pretty decent, especially for the price.

As far as a new flash hider, as stated above, the A2 will do it's job so a replacement would be mostly for looks.

As far as looks, I like the Smith Enterprise Vortex A3 and the Yankee Hill Machine Annihilator. The Yankee Hill is especially badass looking, if that's important to you. Midwayusa has them both on their website, if you want to see pics.

Papershotshells

zukiphile

BF said:
I have been looking at the Magpul sights. They seem like a decent set of sights for the money. But they are polymer correct? Has anyone had any problems with that? I like the sight picture they give, but polymer always makes me pause. I just now got my first polymer pistol...

I've made my peace with polymer. When it is formulated correctly for the application, it is a great material.

I have my magpul rear sighted in on a rifle with a fixed front sight. The groups with the magpul and the A2 detachable (which I prefer for aesthetic reasons) are the same, unimpressive but consistently between an inch and two inches supported.

Theohazard

Bigfatts said:
The polymer makes them more durable than most steel sights, just as a good polymer frame pistol can take more punishment than most metal-framed pistols. But the Magpul sights are less heat-resistant, though this should only be an issue if you mount it directly on the gas block and do a bunch of mag dumps. That said, I prefer Troy flip-up sights because I prefer their sight picture.

zukiphile

BF said:
Zukiphile- I've never broken an optic but I am very fond of iron sights.

Have you looked at Daniel Defense sights? I don't have them, but they look as close to fixed sights as you can get on a full length rail.

shrewd

I don't know how serious your work is, but for a serious use gun don't buy cheap crap, period.

Back up sights are just that. Magpuls are good ebough, though if you mean to use them often for whatever purpose, you might want steep sights like Troy.

Get a good red dot. I prefer aim point but eotechs are alright.

The a2 birdcage is plenty good at what it does. I don't really understand the market for flash hiders frankly. Unless you're running night ops most ppl prefer a comp for keeping muzzle on target better during rapid strings.

Then again, if you're shooting your carbine in the dark as a civvie, you (better be) are using a light anyway, so a comp probably makes more sense

Bigfatts

Thanks for all the input guys. There is a localshop that has a good selection of sights including Magpul, Troy, Daniel Defense and some others. I'll head up there this weekend and check them out. I'm pickie about sight picture so it'll be good to see them.

As for the flash suppressor, I admit it is mostly for aesthetic reasons I was looking at changing it.

Ritz

I ended up buying UTG flip up front/rear back up sights. A couple of people here opined that they were of bad quality, but they had really good reviews on Amazon...so I ignored their advice. I'm very happy with them and now I've got metal backups that co-witness with my red dot for under $40. I'm able to put everything within 3" at 50yds (the max range of my indoor range) shooting offhand with cheap-o range FMJ ammo.

Best,

Ibmikey

Ritz, I like your response, after paying up to $200 for BU sights many times it is refreshing to find someone with the grit to say they bought cheap and received a product they are happy with. On some of the other AR forums your experience would draw pages of "experts" telling you how wrong you are using more than a few four letter expluratives.

Ritz

Well, I've got a pretty thick skin. I take forum advice for what it is. When you've got a hundred plus Amazon reviews (which tend to be pretty darned accurate with a sufficiently large sample) and they're all 4-5 stars, then it's easier to ignore the people "holding court" on the forum and just try it out. :)

Best,