AR scope mounts

DMK

Generally you want the centerline of the scope to be at the same level as the iron sights would be. The design of the rifle and it's straight comb stock kind of determines that.

So yes, high rings are necessary. The centerline of the scope should be something like 2.5" above the bore.

DnPRK

I like the centerline of the scope to be 1.5" above the top of the charging handle. This puts the scope at the same height as the A2 rear peep sight and allows most shooters to keep their heads upright.

hoghunting

I agree with DnPRK, as I use 1" height rings for the flattops. The Burris X-high XTR rings work perfectly for me.

MosinM38

Don't remember what rings exactly were used, but dad uses a 3/4" riser and rings on top of that.

I just got a riser, and have low, medium and high rings. Whenever the gun comes and I get the scope mounts on, I'll mention what I used (Pretty sure Mediums. Weavers).

allons

For me, a lot depends on the size of the scope and the style of the rifle, (M4, A2 style stock). If there is no front sight base to worry about, (ghosting in the scope) then my main concern is getting an ideal cheek-weld for my large head!

Although I use high rings, I prefer using a riser with shorter rings when I need the extra height. By using a riser I can take the scope and riser off and they always return to zero when re-mounted. With just high rings I usually have to re-zero if removed.

I also like most any base with a quick release lever. I first ran into these with the Russian Kobra red dots years ago. Pretty much any brand of these will return to zero too. I should also say that all my rifles are sort of old school, I don't worry about co-witnessing with iron sights. If I want to shoot with Irons, I just pull the scope off & slap irons on.

This is just what works for me. Might not even be what you are look'in to do. Good shoot'in! Ken

JH1

You'll need high rings. If your looking for something ar specific, the armalite one piece mount works great and looks good too. Can be had for under $100, which is better than most good one piece mounts.