Ar rifle buffer rebuild kit?

Shadow9mm

Just aquired what i believe is a full colt A1 stock and buffer system from a co-worker. The bumper on the end of the buffer is in bad shape, figured the spacers between the weights probably were too. Where can you buy a buffer rebuild kit? Ill post pics when i get a chance.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Sorry for the delay, got some pics of the stock and the Ar15 rifle length buffer disassembled. Roll pin did not want to come loose, ended up putting a touch of oil on it and let it sit for a bit.

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question. but should I clean and or lubricate the weights and inside of the buffer? was toying the idea of doing a treatment with frog lube paste and wiping it clean before reassembling.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20231204_073527_resized.jpg
    20231204_073527_resized.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231207_195806_resized.jpg
    20231207_195806_resized.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

ocharry

i dont think i would put anything on it for reassembly

that stuff needs to move inside the body to work properly...and any lube you put on it could gum it up and keep it from sliding

guess it would still work even gumed up...i do have a heavy buffer in a couple of my piston guns and they are solid weights

just a thought

ocharry

Shadow9mm

Vadid considerations. I did end up doing a frog lube treatment. Used the paste, smeared it on, put the parts in the oven on warm for 20min. After letting them cool I wiped them off with a paper towel. My goal was to clean not lubricae.

I decided to do it as i had noticed some buildup on the ends of the weights where they were in contact with the spacers which you can see in the pictures. There was a light coat of surface rust that turned the paper towel brown as i was wiping off the frog lube after the treatment.

Hopefully the treatment will protect the steel weights going forward and not cause any issues, they were dry and felt normal after cleaning.

Last edited: