AR Question

Beacon Brass

I just put together an AR from parts, separate bolt, old upper, someones else's barrel. Do I need to take it to a gunsmith and have it headspaced?
Thanks
BB

HiBC

It will be helpfull if you strip the bolt,if you can do that,The ejector plunger is not good checking headspace.It will save your smith some time.I have seen it happen that the no go went.I consider it necessary to check.

Mobuck

If the barrel extension was not removed and the "old barrel" hadn't been abused, you might be fine. It's fairly common to swap bolts w/o checking headspace as long as you know both parts are close to being "in spec". I'm not saying this is 100% correct, but it's done that way.
I've never had a problem switching parts on uppers known to be in good condtion. Recently, I assembled a new upper using the barrel, gas system, and handguards from a newish looking Colt. I used a new, name brand mil spec bolt and carrier and checked the headspace by chambering 10 random resized cases. All chambered snugly and the upper functions and shoots great. No evidence of excessive headspace.
Your gun, your face, your choice.

HiBC

A set of headspace gages costs about what a gasblock costs,or not much ammo.You can get a go/no go for $50 or so.
Between yourself,friends,family,how many AR.s do you think you will assemble?
Headspace is the one critical dimension a gunsmith makes sure of.
I bought a top line match bbl for an AR fitted to a bolt.leaving out the long story,my bbl maker sent a bbl with no bolt.The bolt I had spun easy with the no-go gage.
It gets complicated loading ammo for multiple rifles.Stretched brass doesn't last long.
If you are going to build rifles,some things you just do right.Checking headspace is one of them.