AR parts swap

Double Stack

Ok I’ve done a search and found nothing- can someone tell me how to take an AR butstock off ?. I’m thinkin it just un screws, but I don’t want to mess anything up. It's the one part i've never had to mess with.

armedtotheteeth

I just havent found the need for a collapsable stock yet, and have not managed to break the one on my gun yet. I usually use the pointy end to kill things and not the butt. :D

Double Stack

Haha yea I’m with yea on the pointy end man. I just thought it would look cool, and I wont have to send back my 42" tactical rifle case to get a fit. O and it has a recoil pad for the .308.

I’m still not getting how to take the thing apart though !!.

ATW525

Is it a fixed stock AR? If so, then remove the top screw on the rear of the stock and it should slide off the buffer tube. Be careful because the spring and detent for the rear takedown pin is held into the lower reciever by the stock. The buffer tube itself can just be unscrewed at that point, but you have to push down the detent that holds the buffer in before you can turn it.

Silentarmy

Press in the Buffer Detent and remove the buffer and buffer spring. Loosen the top screw in the fixed stock and slide it off of the buffer tube. use a large crescent wrench to loosen the buffer tube if you do not have the proper stock wrench. Keep a hand over the detent as it is spring loaded and will go into orbit along with it's spring if you don't watch it. There is also a selector lever detent and spring behind the metal plate against the rear of the lower receiver that will want to come out so keep an eye on it as well. Your new stock tube will screw in by hand just to the point where it holds the edge of the detent down but not so far as to inhibit its free movement. Use the stock wrench to lighten the lock ring snugly yet carefully as not to pinch the selector lever detent spring. You are not a certified AR smith till you have sent a spring into orbit and lost it!

Double Stack

Thanks guy’s !!. I was just missing loosening the screw on the end of the but stock first. O and dam !! If I hadn’t been told to un screw the stock buffer tube after I had the stock off, I would have stopped. That thing wouldn’t budge. I had to use vice grips and a wash cloth, and it still bent up bad in a few places just from the torque. No big deal, I got the new one on now.

I’ll put up a pic tomorrow just because it looks so dam good.

Thanks again !.

Double Stack

Here it is.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DPMS 3.jpg
    DPMS 3.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Double Stack

Ok I need some more help guy’s.

I’m having a problem with this stock. It doesn’t push the bolt all the way forward unless I let it slam. Also, when I put a mag in it for the pic, I charged it, and the bolt catch didn’t catch the bolt. It just slides free back and forth. I think this is all the spring strength, as I see no difference in the diameter. Am i on the right track ?.

The site I bought it from has it under their .308 AR section, but I don’t think it’s a 308 stock. http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=1052&brand=DPMSSTOC

Can you all help me out with these problems, or do I have to send it back ?.

blume357

Double Stack... my first suggestion is go to bed and get some sleep...

Something ain't right in there and it should be easy to fix...but I'm not the expert on it.... I'm sure it's simple...

Double Stack

You're up too...

Yea I know. It’s just that I have a hard time going to bed with unfinished business. It’s really bothering me. I emailed them, but I haven’t got a reply yet.

Somebody has got to know what I’m talkin about right ???.

VUPDblue

You'll need to run a different spring and buffer in that stock. They are different in the A2 stocks than in the collapsible stocks. Also, that stock is a CAA if I am not mistaken. I don't believe they are intended to be used on .308 rifles. You will need a stock that is specific to the .308 platform. Yes, the one you have fits, but it does not function. That's your problem. The spring force and the buffer weitght will be optimised for the 5.56 platform, they may not be strong/heavy enough for the .308