AR New Guy

tachunter

I would like to SLOWLY start purchasing an AR piece by piece. When I mean slowly I'm talking 6-9 months. I'm very new to the whole AR thing and with so many regulations in California it seems almost anything is illegal. So I figure the combination of all the laws along with my inexperience with the AR it would be best to go at this slowly. I leaning toward a 16" barrel chambered in 223 with a quad rail. That's really all I can say I'm for sure about. With the research I have started I've found the AR to be a completely different world with more options than one could imagine. What I'm looking for here are the names of decent manufactures for AR's. I don't want anything close to top of the line, but I don't want a pile of junk either. So what manufactures would best suite me? Rock River, DPMS, S&W, CMMG, STAG, DEL-TON? Also, say I buy this AR piece by piece? How is this gun registered? I was under the impression you can swap out lowers for lowers and uppers for uppers. Are all uppers serial coded so every upper you get is registered? Switching the lower out means nothing as for registration? Also some good AR parts websites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the much needed help.

raimius

On an AR-15, the lower reciever is the serialed "firearm." Uppers can be switched at will (following local and federal laws on length and what-not).

Technosavant

As said, the stripped lower is the only serial numbered component. I have no familiarity with CA laws, but federally, only the lower is the firearm. Everything but the stripped lower can be ordered shipped to your home.

There's a bunch of info on here and elsewhere about the manufacturers. Personally, my preference runs toward Bravo Company parts with CMMG a strong second. For purchasing components, I usually go to Bravo Company or PK Firearms.