AR mags

j frame

I just bought my first AR, a Colt Sporter Lightweight, pre ban. I've never even SHOT one of these, much less owned one. Got it from a friend who bought it new eighteen years ago, and put it in his safe, and it's sat there ever since. Nice, no frills, fixed stock basic AR. I got one thirty round mag with it; what are the best mags for the money? I want to buy five or six more, and I want the best quality ones I can find. Any suggestions?

Carne Frio

PMags are popular with the 3 gun shooters.
I have a couple but prefer the Lancers. ALso,
I use a lot of original Colt and various U.S. GI
contractor mags.

Nice friend you have there ! We should all be
so fortunate.:D

kraigwy

The only magazines I use for my ARs are 20 round USGI. Never had a problem with them.

Also I wont have a magazine that wont drop under its own empty weight with the button is pushed.

(Same with my pistol mags)

tahunua001

most ARs will eat from any magazine you give them, a colt should be no different. go you your local gun store, look at AR mags, close your eyes, grab one blindly off the rack, that is the correct one :D

riggins_83

Magpul Pmags or the Troy "Battlemags" are the best IMO. I'm a Pmag guy myself!

The advantage of a Pmag is it's easy to clean, non tilt follower and won't bend.

madcratebuilder

I prefer 20 round mags, lighter and less bulk. USGI or Pmags, Pmags may not drop free with some AR's, something you want to check before you buy several dozen.

Mobuck

If you shoot from a bench, you need some 10-20 round mags. The 30 rounders are really too long for bench work. Actually, I seldom use a 30 round mag. I carry an AR most every day during winter and the 20's are easier to carry and I've never had the need to fire more than 4-5 times w/o a refill.
I have some mags of almost every maker and material. CDNN sells some decent mags really cheap. I guess it depends on what and how you intend to use the rifle. If you just want 4-5 mags and that's it, buy the best. P-Mags or Brownell's have never failed me. P-Mags have a nifty little cover that relieves stress on the feed lips and keep dirt/dust out of the mag.