AR Mag storage

94bluerat

What is the general thought on storage of AR mags? Loaded or unloaded?

I have 4 30rnd mags with 25rnds in each. Am I going to end up with an over compressed spring that won't push up the ammo when needed?

Thanks!

thesheepdog

I use magpuls and they come with a storage cover to take pressure off the lips.
For others-for long term storage-I would load 15 to 20 rounds in each.

Ridge_Runner_5

Springs are worn out by repeated compression and release. Keeping them stored loaded won't shorten their life. Loading and unloading will.

Supposedly, leaving GI magazines loaded to capacity will cause the feed lips to bend over time. Lots of internet "experts" have confirmed this. I havent experienced it myself, but the longest I have kept an AR magazine fully loaded was about six months. No failures to feed, no visual difference from a new magazine.

As the sheep dog pointed out, Magpuls have a cover that eliminates the problem entirely. I have not personally used a Magpul magazine, but I have heard nothing but good things.

The biggest killer of a magazine is use. A magazine is a wear item and will eventually need to be rebuilt/replaced with enough use like any other machine.

Using magazines in a way not designed (stuffing 31 rounds into a 30 round mag, using them as improvised hammers, etc.) may also lead to a shorter lifespan.

On the bright side, AR magazines right now are both cheaper than I can ever remember them being AND some of the best quality AR mags ever made. If you wanted to buy enough AR mags to last the average person (shoots 1,000 rounds a year or less) several lifetimes of use, you could do it for under $100.