AR lube Grease or ATF

ghostriderftl

Recently I have been thinking that I need to clean my AR's that have been sitting in the safe for awhile so I am posting this thread.

I have heard that AR's need to run wet and standard lube is fine but AR's really need something more.

That something more comes down to 2 that keeps reappearing.

1. ATF fluid.

2. High temperature wheel bearing gease.

Of the two which one is better and why.

Is there another choice???

Incognito

Why this obsession for using automotive products? ... and not just with your particular request, but this phenomenon seems to be rampant all over the net :rolleyes:

But to get to the question, oil will always migrate towards gravity unless it is captured, whereas grease will cling to the part(s). Oils are easier to apply, but require more frequent application because this tendency to migrate (easy on/easy off). Grease is harder to apply, but will last longer. Grease is better, imo.

OHW

Some grease on the BC heavy wear marks. Other internal parts of the bolt would do better with thinner consistancy oil.

Have not tried ATF. Some do special mixes of ATF+kerosene+mobil one for a homebrew CLP. Have not needed a jug of CLP so no need to try and save pennys.

PawPaw

Why this obsession for using automotive products?

The easy answer is you can buy it by the quart, it's inexpensive and it's readily available at any auto store. There are lots of us folks who don't have ready access to gun stores. Sure, there's Wal-Mart, but they've got auto supplies also.

Besides, the vast majority of "gun oils" are repackaged industrial lubricants. I sincerely doubt that any company makes a specific gun oil that can't be found in general industrial use.

ATF is a very good boundary lubricant. It rides in transmissions for years without being changed and keeps it's lubricity. White lithium grease is easily found in the auto section of any good store. I bought small squeeze tube for $1.19 several years ago and I've still got most of it. Synthetic motor oils are available everywhere.

Why wouldn't someone use good quality lubricants on fine machinery?

OHW

Paw Paw
Why wouldn't someone use good quality lubricants on fine machinery?

Why wouldn't someone use a lubricant that is labeled for its specific purpose?
Espescially on something as expensive and safety nescessary as a firearm?

Average Joe

You spend how much on an AR ? And want to use what on your AR ?
Use the products that are designed for guns on guns, and automotive products on auto's.

I've found the topic of gun lube and grease the past few days very informative since I'm relatively new to AR rifles. The more information one can acquire about cleaning their rifle will never be trivial or wasted time. Thanks to every contributor on TFL.

MythBuster

I use synthetic motor oil on my ARs. I use it because it works BETTER than any "gun oil" I have tried.

Since it is better and much cheaper than so called gun oil I see no reason not to use it.

If you know something I don't then please fill me in.

PawPaw

OHW said:
Why wouldn't someone use a lubricant that is labeled for its specific purpose?
Espescially on something as expensive and safety nescessary as a firearm?

Because the vast majority of it is re-packaged industrial lubricant, put in a smaller bottle, labeled as gun oil and sold at a higher price.

If you want to use specifically labeled gun oil, by all means, enjoy. But, if you get behind the label and see what you're using, there's probably the same stuff on the auto aisle.

There are some great new nano-lubricants out there that aren't getting much attention lately except in industrial applications, and I haven't tried any yet, but some folks are starting to experiment with them. It'll be really interesting in the near future to see what comes of these experiments. One company I'm aware of is using a nano lube in a gun lube called Slipstream.

Slamfire

AR's are not "grease guns". They are better served with oils. Though I have used lubriplate 105, a very light grease, on occasion. http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases/no-105-motor-assembly-grease.html

I don't like the smell or feel of ATF. I use motor oil. Took me about ten years to go through my first bottle of 10W-30 Mobil One. Great stuff.

Motor oils are tested in environments far worse than any firearm. They are outstanding lubricants.

Motor oils are not rust inhibitors, they are lubricants.

kenno

WOW!
Some folks have thier nose so far up thier butt hole they can't see that all firearms are machines rather than Holy Relics that need properly blessed oils to make em run!
As a former US ARMY INFANTRY WEAPONS REPIAR INSTRUCTOR (45B3H).
I am here to tell you that one of the first training films shown to students was the one explaining how vairous industrial lubircants worked. If you check in the back of Small Arms Tech Manuals you will find a listing of acceptable lubricants, Industrial Lubes

HKFan9

I just use Eezox and shoot my AR until I can see she needs a bath. Then I just strip it down and throw all the parts in the parts cleaner in the gun smith's room at the gun shop I work at.:D Then dry em off, use some eezox and reassemble.

Mobuck

I might use synthetic motor oil in my AR rifles but sure as H not ATF. It stinks, stains, and doesn't stay in place. It's about as much solvent as lubricant.

CPTMurdoc30

I use both. I use Mobil 1 0w30 on the trigger group and other low wear points. I use grease on all the high wear points.

Oh and if I do remember correctly Mobil 1 makes a gun lube as well.

I feel that CLP is the worst products on the market. Never liked the stuff even while I was in the military....

lmccrock

CLP is field-expedient - handy to grab one bottle in case I need to clean away from the bench.

Otherwise, Hoppe's and the oil my smith recommended some years back: Mobil 1 motor oil. I "used" more by accidently dumping onto the bench than on the guns. :D Don't have rust problems with the AR's.

Lee

jaguarxk120

The thing about oils and grease's is they have to meet MIL spec. that means they perform to a certain level of luberication. Chances are many of the super lubes all come out of the same barrel. That is same oil different bottle.

It's just how the supplier packages the oil or grease. Note ATF and power steering fluid are about the same and can be interchanged. But at the store the power steering fluid has no red coloring and is in a 12 oz bottle not a quart container.

I have a bore cleaner that's supposed to be the greatest thing since Hopps #9 when I used it the stuff looks like Ed's red!! Go figure

Last edited: