AR lower receiver

Geezerbiker

I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to AR's but I'm thinking of jumping in with both feet and building an AR.

Stripped lowers start around 50 bucks and go up to crazy expensive from there. So how do I know what's good or good enough or should I hold out for something more expensive?

Next question, how hard is it to put in all the little pieces? I was a motorcycle mechanic for 20+ years and 20 valve 4 cylinder engines don't intimidate me but this is way out of my experience circle...

Tony

FrankenMauser

Just about any forged aluminum lower is plenty good.

When it comes to polymers, carbon fiber, and other 'alternative' materials, it's a different story. Some are good. Some are bad. Most are mediocre. Many require fitting and fiddling to get them to work.

Forged aluminum is the safest bet.

If you can rebuild an engine, you can [easily] assemble an AR.
As one of my brothers said earlier this week, after assembling his first two lowers.... "You could do that in your sleep!" ;)

Geezerbiker

I was thinking if fitting parts were necessary like when working on a M1911a1. If it's just a matter of putting it together, that should be easy.

One brand I was looking at was Del-Ton. The best price I've seen so far is for an aluminum lower was an Anderson brand. At this point I don't know squat about either of those brands. What I do know is that stripped AR lowers are all over the place.

I need to know that when I get one, is that it's good out of the box. It might sit around awhile and it would be hard to get it warrantied a year or so after purchase...

Tony

Taco-XL

The lower really is one of the parts of an AR that doesnt affect the build quality. Literally any forged aluminum lower is gtg. Just pick which is cheapest and logo that you like. I do recommend you stay with forged aluminum...that billet and carbon fiber crap is a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. Save some cash on the lower and put it into a quality barrel and bolt carrier group, the two parts of an AR that DO need to be quality.

Mobuck

The lower really is one of the parts of an AR that doesnt affect the build quality.

The positioning of the holes and machining of several dimensions DOES affect the "build" quality. That said, most currently available lowers are well within specs and won't cause problems later.
I've ASSEMBLED lowers from Anderson, Delaware Machine, Sharpes, Plum Crazy, and a couple of other makers. Most seem to be good enough but a few didn't quite fit all uppers, had trigger/hammer pin holes slightly oversized, or were too tight at the rear upper lug. The latest brand I've used is Anderson and they were quite well finished and fit was good. Hammer/trigger pin fit is snug and I haven't found any problems with upper fit.
I'm at the point now of installing the takedown and pivot pins, bolt catch, and mag catch, then selecting an upper for best fit(more so if this is a precision type rifle) which stays with the lower and is barreled with the shooter's choice. Trigger, pistol grip, and stock are also shooter's choice and added as requested.

globemaster3

I was a motorcycle mechanic for 20+ years and 20 valve 4 cylinder engines don't intimidate me but this is way out of my experience circle...

This tells me 2 things... first, you are more than mechanically inclined enough to do this. Second, that you understand this game more than most.

As far as getting mechanical inclination to meet experience, there are more than enough videos out there detailing the process. Once you see it, you will get it.

On the other side, I have Friends into the bike scene, and there are a ton of bike options out there as well as accessories for riding. Its the same with ARs. What Taco calls crap is perfect for someone else. That being said, I do not own a single billet or polymer lower.

Like many have said, if you stick with an aluminum lower, its hard to go wrong. Some tried and true names include Aero Precisión, Del Ton, DPMS, Stag, Spikes, Anderson.... It might be easier to produce a list of those to stay away from!

rcase1234

As previously stated, any forged aluminum is generally GTG. If you want to go cheap go Anderson. Lots of people use them in their builds and haven't heard of an issue

tirod

y

I was thinking if fitting parts were necessary like when working on a M1911a1.

Nope, Stoner held specs tightly enough that parts from two different makers 1000 miles apart should fit. Mine do.

There are a few finesse points - makers can and do measure their parts and sort them into batches so compatible assembly with other parts works out with the stack of tolerances in an acceptable range. We don't - we've got just the one part and live with it.

So, the upper and lower might have very tight or loose fits when pinned together. The maker matched them, we can't. Arsenal refits surface with that problem as the uppers and lowers are separated or one even replaced.

Another issues getting the nose of the upper to work with the barrel extension, when tightening the barrel nut to 30 ft lbs, it will likely be necessary to keep turning to get the sprocket teeth to clear the gas tube. Those teeth are there to keep the nut from backing off in use, which would be a bad thing in combat. Do get the tooth past the tube location, a maximum of 85 ft lbs is the top to keep from shearing the aluminum threads with the steel threads of the nut. It's not a complicated issue of a torque wrench or whatever, tho, much as some make out. If you can torque a lug nut you already know what is enough.

Same with some other assembly issues, fancy tools are not necessary, I used channel locks on the nut with the upper clamped in vice jaws - protective inserts were used.

Some absolutely cringe at marking up their firearm, tho, which is a mystery to be when it's a combat rifle to be used dragging it thru mud, bashed on the ground, etc. Drop and roll doesn't make a good environment for safe queens. Your mileage may vary.

As for quality, spending another $100 for a lower isn't all that. Most are forged by half a dozen makers, machined by another dozen shops, who put on the four or five dozen current roll marks. Forged lowers and uppers are a commodity item and paying three times more will not net three times more accuracy or reliability. What it will get you is a roll mark that might resell a bit higher, but used is used. Buy a roll mark you like or at least can tolerate - that seems to be the real criteria once you get past the hype and marketing. Be it known not even Colt drop forges, they machine platters - to control those little fitups on the assembly line.

Spend money on the barrel and bolt, shoot quality ammo, and it's going to be good to go. Pay special attention to matching specs of parts that work together, using the Crane Sopmod parts isn't overkill, and using a heavier buffer is less likely to cause problems than a lighter one. Be careful about the barrel length, gas port location, and size - it's both the "timing" and rpm limiter for the gun and control bolt speed. A slower bolt is preferred to a faster one to prevent bolt bounce and out of battery issues.

Here's the stickies at arfcom on assembly, not the absence of high end tools or their justification. I did eventually purchase the all purpose armorer's wrench for spanner use, you know how hard it is to find spanner wrenches in a hardware or tool store. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/22...__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

There are only a few people actually making lowers. Mostly, you just pay for a roll mark.

Aero, Mega, Spikes, BCM through G&R Tactical etc. Seekins Precision does an excellent job, too.

Geezerbiker

Thanx guys. I will be ordering an Anderson lower soon. I want a match grade flat top but otherwise A2 style AR15...

The plan is to get the lower first. Then buy the bits and pieces here and there until the lower is completed. Then later on buy a complete upper as the money comes available. Does this sound like a good plan or am I missing something.

I'm self employed (I own a small motorcycle parts company) and money ebbs and flows. It's hard to predict when I'll have gun money but I've sold 3 guns to get through the winter and I have to get at least one to replace the loss...

Tony

mulespurs

Brownells

I think if you look on Brownells website that they have assembly videos that would help you alot, as well as any part or tool you might need.

globemaster3

There are only a few people actually making lowers.

I think you mean the forgings. Can anyone confirm that? I thought I read previously that there were 2 companies doing the forgings, but several doing the machine work to produce completed lowers...

I know some companies such as Aero Precision do machined lowers for other companies such as Surplus Ammo in Lakewood, WA, before they closed. I also have seen Olympic Arms machine shop churning out lowers.

FrankenMauser

I think you mean the forgings. Can anyone confirm that? I thought I read previously that there were 2 companies doing the forgings, but several doing the machine work to produce completed lowers...
There are about a dozen companies that provide forgings.
Alcoa Aluminum, Anchor Harvey, Brass Aluminum Forgings (BAF), Cardinal Forge, and Cerro Forge are the most commonly encountered forgings.
There are hundreds of companies that do the machine work - most produce very few lowers per year, though (high end or strictly custom stuff).

I know some companies such as Aero Precision do machined lowers for other companies such as Surplus Ammo in Lakewood, WA, before they closed. I also have seen Olympic Arms machine shop churning out lowers.
Aero Precision also machines the lowers for Spike's, Armalite (certain models), and many more...
DPMS machines lowers for many other companies.

Geezerbiker

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this but is it better to buy a complete upper or to buy the parts and assemble one?

Would setting the head space be something out of my league for a home build?

Tony

Mobuck

Would setting the head space be something out of my league for a home build?

Most barrels have the extension installed and chamber reamed to proper headspace(with a "bench bolt" hopefully in the middle of the tolerance range).
Some of the higher grade barrels will include a bolt(and are presumably headspaced with the included bolt).
At this point, I've not encountered any problems matching a new bolt with a new barrel. I've even put new bolts in used barrels (not the other way around) w/o issue but I don't recommend swapping a single bolt through several uppers as some seem to tout as "being safe". My theory: bolts are cheap but eyes are a lifetime investment.

SVTCobra306

Setting headspace is a bit beyond the normal home builder. You can check it though, a field gauge is all you need, and follow the instructions that come with it.

Geezerbiker.. the hardest part of assembling everything is driving roll pins. Here's a huge hint.. buy your lower parts kit from a good manufacturer, it will include what you probably know as "double roll pins" rather than the typical split pins. The double roll pins are ten times easier to drive in than the split pins, and are actually stronger, not that roll pin failure is common on an AR.

As for build vs. buy the upper, that really depends on if you find an upper that has everything you want. Right now is something of a buyer's market on AR parts, so it's probably cheaper to buy an upper than to build one, plus barrels are still a little bit hard to find (at least the ones that are affordable and good quality). The deal breaker on buying an upper is if you are going to change everything on it anyway.. the trick is buying one that you already like. Headspace is not an issue, it is set by installing the barrel extension onto the barrel itself. That is done at the factory and typically can't be done or changed at home. Like I mentioned above, a field gauge can check the headspace once you have it assembled, it's either "go" or "no go", and if it fails with two different bolts, the extension is likely the culprit and it would have to go back to the manufacturer. I have yet to have this happen, it's pretty rare if you are using all new parts.