ar gas systems

MarkCO

Comparative Pros and Cons.

Piston: Keeps the BCG cleaner, less gas in face when utilized with a suppressor, more cyclic mass, messes with barrel harmonics, a little heavier.

Direct Impingement: More accurate, lighter, easier to tune.

Joe-ker

Comparative Pros and Cons.

Piston: Keeps the BCG cleaner, less gas in face when utilized with a suppressor, more cyclic mass, messes with barrel harmonics, a little heavier.

Direct Impingement: More accurate, lighter, easier to tune.
Can you elaborate on why a DI is more accurate? Thanks

Shadow9mm

Ar was designed for di. Di are generally lighter, cheaper, and more accurate. Piston systems are a retrofit to the design. You end up with a bunch of special and proprietary parts with a piston system. Including the bolt and carrier.

Shadow9mm

Can you elaborate on why a DI is more accurate? Thanks
Because there is not a piston, that is moving, attached to the barrel. While there is a bullet in the barrel. With a di gun, all the moving parts are in the receiver, not on the barrel effecting the harmonics

Shadow9mm

So if no plans to run a suppressor there’s very little advantage to a piston.
To me it would be simpler just to get an adjustable gas block for a di and turn it down for suppressor use. Imho pistons just don't work well on ars. Its not what it was designed for and trying to force it to work is far more trouble than it's worth.

HiBC

If you use good ammo the DI system runs pretty clean.

There is cheap ammo produced in countries where no one owns or shoots a DI 5.56 gun.(AK-47 countries,for example) They have no reason to care if the ammo runs filthy.Cheap is the priority.It "serves the cause" if an AR fails.
Feed your AR NATO quality ammo .Or better.

The early M-16 developed a bad reputation largely because several of Eugene Stoner' recommendations were ignored.

The way I understand it, some moron(s) in the Defense Dept decided the ball powder used in the 7.62 Nato round would work just fine.
The deterrent coating contained a lot of calcium carbonate which formed a bunch of gritty charcoal in the gas tube,BCG,and bolt.

Some Folks have been skeptical of DI ever since.

Wrong fuel. If you ran your Cummins or Cat diesel on gasoline you might have similar problems.

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

Thanx for all the good info. I have a friend that put a piston setup on one of his AR's but he also has a silencer with a QD set up so he can use it on several rifles. I really want a silencer but I have no plans to use one on either of my AR15's...

Tony

MarkCO

Why would you be getting any "gas in the face" with either system, if properly set up???
Even properly set up for cycling, a suppressed DI system WILL push more gas into the action and out the CH slots and ejection port. Sure, it can be reduced by a retune of the system for with and without a suppressor, but no adjustment needed with a piston system and the operational window won't change nearly as much.

Even the best suppressors push some gas back down the barrel, it is how they work and there is not, as yet, a suppressor that eliminates all backflow of gas into the barrel.

stuckinthe60s

ok, got it. thanks for the info gang.
perfect answers.
I was, as you can probably guess by the signature, going the accuracy info route.
and whats this?
I didn't have to google it either!
I prefer good ole fashion fireside chats.

jetinteriorguy

One more con to a piston system, each manufacturer makes its own proprietary parts. So if something breaks only one source for replacement parts, and if the company no longer exists no parts.