AR Flip sights: MI or Troy???

briang2ad

Anyone know why ONE and not the other???

Where did you buy your Yankee Hill sights?

Any better deals out there. The ones posted are the best I could find...

shanzlik

Either one will work fine. I have the MI on an AR-10 and the Troy on an AR-15. The Troy seem a little smoother in operation and may be a tad lower profile. The MI seem very slightly beefier, but not enough so that I 'd think they were any better for field use. I prefer the sight picture with the Troy's but can't exactly say why.

This may not have helped much, but they are so close I'm okay with either one.

madcratebuilder

I just picked up this AR10 with Troy sights, they are pretty damn nice. The only thing I have to compare them to is a YHM folding gas block mount on a AR15. They fold very smooth, lock rock solid and excellent finish.

AR10003.jpg

zombieslayer

Well the reason I went with the YHM's was the gunshop down the street gives me good deals on stuff. They sold me the front and rear for $110 . A friend has the MI sights on his and they are pretty beefy looking. Thr Troy sights look nice but were the most expensive.

ostrobothnian

Well,

I have both MI sights and Troy sights. They both are of good quality and work well. The MI has the price advantage and the Troys are lighter and have a less glossy finish.

If I put together another AR it will have Troys but I wouldn't hesitate to run MI sights.

JMHO.

tirod

Since this category of sight is BUIS - with optics as the primary - why not the Magpul MBUS? They've been redesigned with a smaller rear sight footprint, are durable, don't lose their anodizing and shine up, come in colors for better camo, and can be lighter. Price leaves room for other stuff, too.

If combat durability is a priority, the GI FSB and rear sight would be first choice. I'm not much on paying extra for billet machining when I know it has a high markup for the utility value it serves.

Technosavant

Troys are probably the gold standard. They're lower profile than the MI ERS line. But you pay for it. The MI ERS line is functional and rugged, but not quite as "slick" as the Troys. But they're cheaper. The Magpul MBUS work just fine, but they're still plastic. As Magpul themselves says, they're a budget item- better than nothing at all, but if you can afford the metal sights, metal is more durable and probably the better choice.

briang2ad

If you read my other thread, I CANNOT use the MAGPUL MBUS because the front one WILL MELT on a S&W Optics Ready AR. Tne price difference with a MI rear is only about $30. More for the Troy, admittedly.

I was considering a MAGPUL rear with a TROY front to save money, but then thought that having like sights might be better and more durable.

There seems to be two models of Troy - the new "low" ones may be for another gun altogether. Until my son can earn enough for an AIMPOINT, these will be it. Just want somehting decent as the base sights.

Thanks.

MMcfpd

I have Troy, MI, YHM and Magpul on different guns. Since the OP has already indicated the Magpul offering is out of the running (the ones I like least), I'll say the YHM is perfectly serviceable and likely the best deal. The Troy linked to above has the diamond aperture which I have tried; initially I was enthusiastic but I've found I prefer the more common circular aperture. Troys are available with both.

You'll do fine with any of the three (YHM, MI or Troy) and I doubt you'll experience any real benefit from buying the more expensive unit(s).

briang2ad

Anyone have a link to the YHM PAIR for the best deal to compare.

Thanks. We'll order on Monday or Tuesday - on vacation now, so I have a couple of days.

thesheepdog

Anyone have a link to the YHM PAIR for the best deal to compare.

Thanks. We'll order on Monday or Tuesday - on vacation now, so I have a couple of days.

Are you just really indecisive? You're best bet is going to be for you to look around on the i-net.

I hope you get a good deal, and if you do, let us know.