AR flat top scope mounts and/or rings

AK103K

I'm looking for a set of QD rings for a flat top AR. The scope mount that came with the rifle doesnt allow the scope to be mounted far enough forward for proper eye relief. I like to have the scope sit about where the rear iron sight is, with my head forward. I also dont want to get to high with the rings. I was looking at the A.R.M.S. QD rings, but they dont appear to have one with a cantilever. I've seen pictures of rings similar to this, (one standard and one cantilevered) but cant find who makes them. Any links or suggestions? TIA.

Chipster

Armalite makes a nice one-piece mount. Two sizes are available, for 1 inch and 30 mm scope tubes. The mount screws are large and easy to get on and off. Check www.ar15.com optics forum for info as well.

uglygun

Armalite does make a fine one piece mount, meant for AR15s too. Puts the optic's centerline at the same height above the centerline of the bore as you'd find on regular iron sights, ends up being a very comfortable mounting height for most people and the height is enough so that even 50mm objective lenses will clear an AR15 with A2 type handguards or a freefloat tube. Carbines however are a little more of a pain, large scope or too far forward mounted and the scope might bump into the front sight if you're not careful. My Armalite mount has always returned to zero, or close enough to zero, that I can't notice the difference between removal and reinstallation of the scope.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite parts of the Armalite mount, the recoil lug on the under side of the mount makes for a very good fit within the cross slots of the picatinny rail, occasionally weaver rails can cause problems when mounting to a Picatinny rail. Or, some weaver mounts will only make use of the studs for the thumb nuts for locating within the cross slots, under recoil the mounts can sometimes creep around.
mount1.jpg

AK103K

The mount I have is an Armalite, came with my rifle. Ulgygun, yours is different than mine as its base is offset, which is what I need. It looks like it would be just enough to give me the right eye relief. Mine has one ring even with the rear of the base and one slightly cantalivered ahead of the front, about half or maybe a little less than yours shows. Mine also doesnt have the recoil lug. The height on the one I have is fine, maybe just a tad high. I was leaning more towards "rings" so I have more latitude in adjustment in scope placement. The Armalite mount, like the HK mount pretty much fixes where you mount the scope. I'll have to check on Armalites web page again, I dont rember seeing them offering the bases, or any other mounts other than what comes with the rifle. I'm going to check over at AR15.com also. Thanks for the replies boys.

i've got the ARMS one piece mount that has the cantilever feature and i really don't think you need it for most scopes....the advantage you may gain from the cantilever is sometimes taken away by the fact that you can't move the rings around on the mount......i've also got a set of the ARMS single lever scope rings that i like better....if you really need the cantilever you may want to get one of the ARMS bases that are called the SWAN Sleeve....you can even get one that has a flip up rear sight .....i've got one of those also and i really like it.....Remember one thing-------" you get what you pay for " The ARMS stuff costs more but i think you'll be happy with anything they make.......Dick

Gewehr98

Gotta second the ARMS #5 scope base.

I use Millett windage adjustable rings on my ARMS #5. Very nice setup, and the zero doesn't budge when I switch from scope to carrying handle/iron sights.

Colt.jpg