AR flat-top conundrum.

Zak Smith

A Rock River flat-top AR followed me home this weekend, and I'm still trying to figure out what optics to put on it. One of my options is to use a low-power variable conventional scope, like a Leupold 1.5-5X. This choice would allow reasonably fast close-range shots, and enable long-range (up to maybe 500 yards) shots on the higher power. Since this rifle should be quite accurate, I want to be able to take advantage of that.

These scopes have Eye Relief of 3.5 - 5.2". Does this mean the rear of the scope will have to be about 3" forward of the charging handle? That will require an extended sleeve and even a 9" "short" scope will still protrude half-way down the forend.

The problem makes a Red-Dot (infinite eye relief) attractive, but I like the ability to have some magnification. On an Aimpoint ML2, how easy or hard is it to aim precisely, as compared to a scope or iron sights?

The other choice is a scope designed for short eye relief: the ACOG and Compact ACOG. I'd probably go Compact because it's about $300 cheaper. How well does the 2X Compact ACOG work for precision shooting?

thanks
Zak

Steve Smith

The Aimpoint is available with 2x magnification...is that good enough?

FYI, those who have tried it complained that the images in L and R eyes were confusing due to the magnificaiton.

Jim Watson

I have a 1 - 4 Leupold on my flattop. The ocular bell is directly over the charging handle. I see a full field of view in standing position. I tend to crawl the stock in other positions and it could stand to be a bit farther forward. There is about 3/8" of tube I could move up in the rings. If I need more I can move the Colt/B-square mount up a notch or two.

Zak Smith

Resolution.

I've decided to start this rifle off with a Aimpoint Comp ML2, mounted in the ARMS #22M68, directly on the flat-top. I ordered the riser set so I can try both heights.

When I want to mount a scope, I will buy an extended Swan Sleeve (e.g. ARMS #26,28) and mount the scope in a "forward" position so the rear bell is about 2-3" in front of the charging handle. This will make the rifle a little front-heavy, but will give proper eye relief.

Finally, I will have a set of fold-down iron sights mounted for backup and IDPA competition.

Thanks for the information.

Zak

Zak Smith

Has anyone tried the ARMS #26 SUPER-EXTENDED rail? This is the one that is 14" long, and extends quite a ways down the handguard.
14inSwannoSight.jpg

This one would definitely give me enough eye relief, but maybe it's overkill. I'm not sure their 8.5" long one (the regular "EXTENDED" model) will be long enough.

-z

Will Fennell

The "middle lenght"

smithz,
I went throught the same "conumdrum".....I ended up with the "middle lenght" SWAN SLEEVE. This thing is really well made. I got the version with the intergral fold down rear site, and have been very pleased with its performance. I mounted a Trij. REFLEX 2 with the triangle reticle on the ARMS throw lever mount well forward on the sleeve. I also have enough eye relief to mount a scope as you mentioned.

I still like the setup I have, and would do it again. I guess that seez someting.

The only problem with flat top AR's, is that the optics/mounts/sites combinations are mind-boggling! It took me quite awhile and quite a few $$$$$ to come to the conclusion I'm at now.

HEre is a pic...

attachment.php

MolonLabe416

The Trijicon 1.25x4 illuminated scope would seem to fit your need and gives you a low light alternative.
I've been very satisfied with mine.