AR Deer

lizziedog1

AR's have really come a long way over the last few years. There are ones that are set up for deer hunting. Even the various magazines include articles about big game hunting using AR's. Has anyone here deer hunted with one? How did work? Any funny looks from other hunters?

cgbills

I know a lot of people who use them for coyotes. Not really seen people use them for deer or other bigger game. I have no problem people using them, use whatever you want so long as it is legal. I thought about getting one in 458 socom for deer since it is legal in our state.

nathaniel

My brothers have used theirs on deer. If you can shoot it accurately and use the right bullets it works just fine for deer. My brother got the biggest deer of his life with his Armalite AR in .223. And as far a funny looks, yes but I also get funny looks when I used my m44 mosin or my Puma M92 in .357.

Attachments

• 100_2126.jpg
    100_2126.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 135

jimbob86

AR chambered in .223 ?

Ok, if you keep the range short, and use a heavy (for .223, heh!) bullet designed to hold together at high velocities, yet still expand)

6.8 SPC would be better past 100 yards. The 6.5 Grendel will do better yet at longer ranges.

There are AR-style rifles in honest to goodness deer rifle calibers- .243 WIN, .260 REM, 7-08 and .308 now.... Those would be good, if they have the accuracy that the AR platform is known for.

zoomie

ARs are often used for game bigger than coyotes. Elk, deer, antelope... especially if you consider the 6.5s, 6.8s, WSSMs, etc available. As far as other's reaction. I use mine responsibly in the field, and educate anyone that has an issue and will listen. Few have issues any more, or at least they don't let it known.

I plan to hunt with my .450 Bushmaster upper exclusively this year during modern gun deer season and possibly for black bear if it works out. Haven't hunted with it yet, so I can't tell you anything about actual performance other than it's superb accuracy.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The R&D advancements in bullet technology, these last dozen or so years, have made the .22 family of centerfires far more useful on larger animals.

Differentiating between AR and bolt is largely irrelevant to the issue of deer hunting. Skill at shot placement and knowing the limitations as to range and to the size of the deer are the important factors.

jimbob86

The R&D advancements in bullet technology, these last dozen or so years, have made the .22 family of centerfires far more useful on larger animals.

Define "larger"...... Larger than a coyote?

In .223 Rem? For deer? Until they figure out how to either make it weigh more in flight than it did when it was launched, or actually accelerate after it was launched, .223 is not adequate beyond 150 to 200 yards.

....knowing the limitations as to range and to the size of the deer are the important factors.

Bingo.

jimbob86

Knowing your limitations....

Differentiating between AR and bolt is largely irrelevant to the issue of deer hunting.

The .223 needs every bit of energy it can get to be effective beyond 100 yards: Heavy (for caliber) "hunting" bullets and long barrels help in the energy department.

An M-forgery with 55 grain bullets vs. a 28" barrelled target rifle with 75 grain bullets will give a difference in energy at 200 yards that is hardly irrelevant.

... a couple hundred ft/lbs may not sound like much, but when you are talking about the difference beween 600 and 800 ft/lbs ..... the .223 needs all the help it can get.

If I had to pass on every deer over 100 yards, I would not take many deer.

kd7sgm

I would not use an AR in 223 for deer under any circumstance. It is not the platform rather than the caliber. I see there are 243's and other calibers available in an AR platfrom that would be just fine. I have never shot a deer with a 223 nor do I personally know anyone who has but there are people on this forum who feel they are fine to hunt deer with. I will agree that under ideal conditions a 223 will kill a deer, it is just not adequate when any of the conditions are stretched.

Jo6pak

^^^^ditto.

IMO, the .223 round is no more effective as a whiteltail cartridge as the .30 carbine would be. Too many disadvantatges to overcome to humanly kill the game.
It's a matter of folks trying to use one gun to fill every niche. Not a good idea.

dzavoina

I've taken 6 white tails with an AR-15 chambered in .223. All were within 75 to 125 yds. Its not the caliber that is limiting, its shot placement and distance. If you refrain from shooting a deer in the next county, and are comfortable with shot placement, then it is more than adequate to take the game. All animals were shot in either the neck or the heart. One shot, one kill.

If it can take a human at 400 meters, than it will take a thin skinned game too.

hooligan1

Heck Many were trained to kill a man-sized target at up to 460 meters!. Why shouldn't we shoot at deer, with proper weight and expanding bullets?
hunted with the .223/ 60 gr soft point bullet, and I had all the confidence that it would do nicely!!;)

BIG P

This was opening of gun season in GA this weekend.AND I had a good one.
Took a 270 7600 & My AR15 STAG 223 20''barrel flattop 3-9x50 loopy.
Never took the 270 out of the truck.With the AR.I took a 8 point,spike,2 Doe's
all were within 170yards using Sierra Gameking 69gr.HPBT. Shooting high
shoulder & Neck none went over 40 yards from impact.The deer were between
130lbs & 160lbs.The 223 is not my favorite round for deer but it did a fine job this weekend. Bullet placement is everything if you cant don't.:eek::D

03Shadowbob

A few weekends ago I harvested 2 deer in South Carolina with my AR in .223 with 62gr Winchester Rangers. First was at 106 yards and 2nd at 125 yards. Both did not move more than 6 inches from where they stood. Shot placement is almost everything.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
jimbob, the deal--aside from proper shot placement--is penetration and expansion, right? For decades the usual .223 bullets were considered for small varmints. These last 15-ish years of R&D in bullet technology because of all the ARs now in existence have changed the picture considerably. There now are bullets in the 60- to 70-grain range which perform much like their bigger brothers--limited mostly by range and remaining energy.

Sure, the .223 is still a somewhat marginal cartridge for deer, but if one recognizes the limitations it works just fine.

turbotype87

AR for deer

Here in CT, You can't hunt deer with any caliber under .243. In my opinion a .223 round is capable of dropping a deer but i much rather use a larger caliber.

thekevin

Agree completely with shot placement for .223 I have shot 2 with .223, one dropped instantly with a well placed shot, the other I wasn't able to locate because I chose a bad shot on it. However, if using a larger caliber the one that got away wouldn't have with a larger caliber gun.

NightSleeper

Hmmmm ... in my book, you must be a crack shot if you plan on hunting deer with a .223. But to each their own ....

Since I am not a bonafide 'heart or head seeker' I prefer a .308 or 12-gauge slug.

spclPatrolGroup

I have wathed my grandfather kill many cows when I was young by shooting them in the head with a single shot .22LR, so with the proper shot placement you could kill deer with a .223, but I don't think its humane since getting the perfect shot at a deer standing completly broadside are not numerous, plus if you were to hit a rib the bullet may veer off to a non vital area, at least with a larger gun and a heavier bullet the chane that you would slow the deer down enough for a second shot is much greater rather than injuring one that you cant track down.