AR build...Suggestions?

sterno

I recieved some spare parts from a friend who upgraded his AR. I need to get all of the other parts but I don't have a fortune to spend. I was thinking of combing gun shows for used parts.

Any suggestions/tips/retailers to help me build this thing out? I'm not looking to build something spectacular, I just want to build my first AR without breaking the bank.

VUPDblue

I guess you need to explain what parts you received from your friend, and what parts you need to acquire. I will assume that you received parts like the original grip, A2 buttstock, LPK (lower parts kit), and forearm, and that you need the stuff like lower receiver, upper receiver, and Bolt, Bolt carrier and Charging Handle.

I just bought a complete forged lower receiver with Bushmaster LPK and 6 position M4 stock from a company called Ameetec Arms for $200. In the AR15 world, $200 for a new, complete M4 lower half is a steal. They are running a special at the moment for that lower at http://www.ameetecarms.com/ . The sights listed in the above posts are also great places to find cheap NEW parts. Check out the equipment exchange at AR15.com and you can find used uppers all day long for even lower prices. Be careful, though, once you have been bitten by the AR bug, you will never be the same...:rolleyes:

sterno

I got from him an almost complete upper (minus the bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle). We swaped some parts we had laying around.

VUPDblue

If I remember right, sportsmansguide had bolts w/carriers in their most recent catalog. I believe it was a decent deal. Also check out operationparts.com