AR build questions?

taylorce1

Okay, actually an AR pistol build question. I'm wanting a 7.5-10" pistol with arm brace in .300 BLK mainly to shoot suppressed. I have a couple of buddies that are into assembling AR rifles so I got help on that front. I'm looking at PSA pistol kits and for the money they seem to be the best value.

However, my buddies say buy each part individually so I have more control over my build. While I don't disagree with them if I was building a rifle, I'm not sure that I need that kind of control over the pistol build. No matter how I shop, I can't put a pistol together cheaper than I can by purchasing a pistol kit.

Anyone else think I should follow my buddies advice?

Sharkbite

If you can find a built pistol with the parts you want go ahead and buy it.

The advantage in building it, is the ability to only buy the parts you want. To buy a built one and then change forends, sights, grips etc. is a waste of money.

So, find one you like already set up OR build one the way you want it.

kymasabe

You're not going to save money by buying parts individually, but you'll be able to select parts you prefer. I've built many lowers with PSA build kits and have usually been pleased with the quality. But, for my "keeper" builds, I get an Anderson Oops kit for the springs and detents, then I order my components separately. My mag releases are all basic mil-spec, but I have specific take-down pins, bolt catches, safeties, end plates, triggers, trigger guards, and buffer springs that I prefer, as well as grips and stocks.

Mobuck

There's really not that much to "select" on a "pistol build" since the overall expectations are basically functional. If you're not willing to be a bit negotiable as to types of ammo, I'd suggest a pistol gas and adjustable gas block. The adjustable gas block would be the only "selectable" component that will make much diff.
I run carbine gas on my 300AAC "pistol" and it's a bit quirky/finicky as to ammo--you can't just stick something in the magazine and get 100% functionality.

taylorce1

The pistol kit I'm looking at right now is this 10.5" pistol kit. I never expected it to have 100% of what I'd actually want, and I expect to eventually change a few things. It's the fact that pricing parts individually got quite a bit more expensive, even just putting the cheapest parts in my cart. As to what I really want, this is my first venture into AR pistols and I don't know what I really want except it to be .300 BLK to compliment my rifle and suppressor.

imashooter

I much prefer the SBA3 brace over that Shockwave if you plan on shouldering now and then. Keep in mind that Shockwave tube is only compatible with that single brace. You should be gtg with the kit vs an individual parts deal.

Nathan

To me, the hardest part of my pistol build was getting barrel, forearm and gas block right. If your kit has the right upper, you can sell, make due or upgrade the rest before you build....

PSA kits are generally a good deal, but are generally short on good triggers. The barrel will be fine...

kymasabe

PSA kits are generally a good deal, but are generally short on good triggers. The barrel will be fine...
Nice cheap trigger upgrade is the nickel teflon triggers at TomsTactical or RightToBear, both are around $40 and are better than PSA's enhanced polished trigger. Add a JP enhanced reliability spring kit or Wolff reduced power spring kit (and only use the trigger and disconnecter spring in the Wolff kit) and you wont be able to tell the difference between that and an ALG ACT.

Mobuck

Shockwave 2.0 is a cheaper alternative to the SBA3.
Finding a 10.5" assembled pistol gassed upper with an adjustable gas block may be difficult AND difficult to reach for adjusting.

TruthTellers

You will not save money buying individual parts and building an upper yourself, in fact you will spend more because you need a vise, clamp blocks, torque wrench (so you don't go over 80 ft/lbs) barrel shims, loctite, etc. You get to choose what you want and that's it.

The biggest pros to that are you can get yourself an upper without a forward assist, the exact free float handguard you want, the barrel you want and that's the major stuff, but then you'll be second guessing yourself if you got the right barrel and end up doing hours and hours of research on barrels.

For a pistol, I would buy it from PSA because you're mostly going to be shooting it within 100-150 yards and even the worst AK with the worst ammo will hit a man size target at that distance.

I was looking at a 9mm upper build and ended up going with PSA instead mainly because the price of a FF handguard was going to be $100 more than the PSA upper. Idk what handguards PSA uses tho, given the price, they're not putting a Midwest Industries on their uppers, I can tell you that.

Bulwyf

TruthTellers has some good advice. I’ve seen gas issues just about drive people nuts. Must kits when assembled work. And modifying a working gun one part at a time makes it easy to know what the problem is if there is one.

stagpanther

I built a 7.5" BO pistol and haven't had any issues or needed an adjustable block--though it does have an outsized bang to it. IIRC--people sometimes have run into gas issues when trying to run subsonic with a suppressor.

FrankenMauser

If a kit meets your needs for now, then do it.
Don't spend money that you don't need to, if you don't even know what you need/want yet.

I wouldn't worry about reliability unless you actually encounter reliability problems.
I built a .300 Blk upper for my existing pistol lower. Like the 7.5" 5.56 upper before it, it worked as intended, from the first trigger pull. No adjustable gas block. No pigtail gas tube. No special buffers, springs, or bolt carriers. Just standard parts.

The only issues with it were caused by P-mags and ASC mags not liking the fat .30 caliber bullets.

Yes, it's over-gassed with the suppressor installed. But not by much; and it's better than being under-gassed.
(It now lives on the SBR lower, but runs perfectly there, too -- rifle buffer system, and all.)

My brother built a nearly-identical upper with mostly the same parts. Same story. Runs just fine on his standard pistol lower. The only problems with it have been induced by bad ammo or bad magazines.
*(That last statement applies to every AR that I've built. My only issues have been caused by magazines, ammunition, or the upper/lower being built by someone else that thought they were smart to use some 'special' part.)

rickyrick

I scrimped on one and bought a lower cost dsa bcg and a roll pin walked out of the bolt itself. Replaced the roll pin and it ran fine. It was a pistol build. All others I have had no reliability issues.

TruthTellers

One of the suggestions I have for those who are concerned about gas issues is if the manufacturer of the barrel you buy also makes gas blocks, buy their gas blocks too. That way you have parts that are built more to work with each other than a different company's barrel or gas block.

Mobuck

I don't see the need to obsess over a barrel for a "300BO pistol build".
Really, how far do you think the thing will shoot? "Long range" is a chuckle when you can see the bullet puttering along to the target(subsonic ammo).