AR Build finally done

jefnvk

Well, I finally got my build done. Parts came from Del-Ton yesterday, although I was still on the way home from college, but today, she got put together.

The gun has a DPMS lower, and is paired with a Del-Ton A2 rifle kit. Total cost was $606 dollars, not counting magazines. I got three USGI mags at $10 each, and was lucky enough to find one LEO only marked one.

Total time took 3 hours, although I was being distracted by teh Busch race. Could have gone much quicker. Spent probably a half hour loking for a missing hammer pin and trigger roll pin.

To anyone considering building, I would definitely reccomend roll pin punches.

Anyway, here are some pics.

ar15%20009.jpg

ar15%20010.jpg

ar15%20011.jpg

ar15%20012.jpg

ar15%20013.jpg

Finish doesn't exactly match, and the selector and trigger really don't match. But at over a $250 savings from the lowest priced Bushy and RRA that I could find, I don't mind.

jailbait

roll pins or a chip mccormick drop in trigger assembly. there again that would have raised the price about $130.

jefnvk

Well, pics went up about ten minuets after she was together, so she is still unshot. Probably Monday (can't miss Talladega tomorrow :), and I got 4 months of summer vacation ahead of me )

Two questions:
1) Will the buttstock being a bit wobbly cause any problems? Any fixes to this?
2) Anyone know where to find the Army 25m sighting targets?

steelersfan0000

About how much did that cost you to build that your self ? And were there any special tools or any special skills needed that would require a trip to the smithy.

jailbait

are you talking about the half-man plastic backings that the army uses for the 25m zeroing targets? you could try actiontargets.com. i know they have a "military style" pop-up range available for sale, so they might sell the targets seperatly.

jefnvk

On the targets, nope. In my military marksmanship class, we used a roughly 8.5x11" cardstock target. Front had a man-silhouette and a grid, along with markings showing what sight to adjust depending on where you were hitting. Back had the same silhouette, but with a dotted outline of that same silhouette lifted (or maybe lowered, can't remember).

Cost was $606. Probably could have done it cheaper , if I looked around and waited for the deals, and scrounged around more on AR15.com's equipment exchange. I wanted at least the first kit to come from a company, though, so I knew the parts I was getting should work right.

I didn't use anything but a hammer (install roll pins), screwdriver (install stock), and pliers and precision screwdriver (to hold in the pivot pin spring and detent while stiking in pivot pin). If I were to do it again, I'd definitely spend the $15 to get some roll pin punches. Wasn't too bad without, but I did manage to put a scratch in the reciever.

If you are good at reading 9 pages of directions (compliments of AR15.com, thanks guys!), making up some missing directions, crawling around on the floor to find missing springs, and hitting things with a hammer, you are good to go.

jefnvk

You won't regret it (when you are done, anyways, you'll be cursing yourself when the pivot pin and detent flies across the room). You learn so much about the rifle by building it, save some money, and most importantly, the gun is all yours. You get the pride when someone says 'that looks nice'; and you say, 'I built it myself'

jefnvk

Give it another try, they're working fine for me. Anyone else having the problem?

EDIT: I'll just do this in case that don't work

Attachments

• ar15 011.jpg
    ar15 011.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 45
  • ar15 012.jpg
    ar15 012.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 29
  • ar15 013.jpg
    ar15 013.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 24