AR Build: break in period or assembly issue.

tmd47762

I just recently got my new AR build (Spikes lower, PSA kit and stock, DelTon pre-assembled 20" upper shooting Federal/Lake City 55gr) out to the range to test fire. Everything went really well, except that for the first 10-15 rounds the trigger would not load after each shot. It went fully back into battery and then the trigger would pop back out after I touched the safety. After about 15 rounds it started begrudgingly loading the trigger and after about 25 or so it was working as I expected. I didn't shoot much past then due to the heat (you can only walk out to change a target so many times in 95 degree weather before it ceases to be fun any more).

I'm used to shooting guns that were manufactured before I was born, and this is my first auto-loading rifle and build (though it was really surprisingly easy). So my question is: is this within the normal range of springs and things falling into place, or is it potentially something that needs to be investigated further.

Brotherbadger

Seems like an assembly issue. My guess is you inverted either the hammer, the trigger spring, or the disconnector spring. First thing i'd check is your springs and make sure they are put in correctly(sometimes people put them in upside down).

Have you done a safety and function check? (if you are unfamiliar, Click here.)

Rottweiler

+1 to what Brotherbadger said. Sounds like one of the springs was put in backwards. If I had to guess without seeing the rifle, I'd say trigger spring

Justice06RR

If this is your first AR15 build, you will also want to do an overall function check of the entire rifle to ensure that everything as assembled correctly. Its quite common to have the FCG parts installed incorrectly for those not familiar with it.

Here is another good video that may be helpful.

AR15 Limited Technical Inspection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACCWuPlC4U

reynolds357

I have lost track of how many lowers I have built, but I still lay all the parts out on the pictures on the mat, then look at every step of the diagram as I assemble. Its easy to have a mental moment and put something where it dont go.

Mobuck

"loading the trigger"???????????????
I'd suggest you figure out the problem before loading the rifle again.

Duzell

ok now im afraid as the rifle may be unsafe

Spikes tactical was a good manufacturer but the quality has gone down since the big "BUY A GUN" scare , but a receiver is still a receiver

this was the video I had as reference when building the TM15 Lower , i also have it as a reference video for other builds

I follow him on youtube and hes a good guy to chat up, take a look and see if there is any "mixup" with your lower ?