AR build advice appreciated

cmdc

I just ordered a BCM Enhanced Lightweight 16" stripped barrel and want to build an upper around it. Unfortunately for me, even though I have quite a few ARs, I know next to nothing about building one. In keeping with the lightweight barrel, I want everything to be light and minimalist, and compact, so I need some input about things like the gas block, BCG, muzzle brake/flash hider, handguard, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Intended use will be HD and general shooting.

rickyrick

Hand guard is the big decision and can be the most expensive part of the gun.

Get a reputable BCG.

Probably want a lo-pro gas block.

Gas tubes abound.

You'll need to decide whether or not you want FA and dust cover. It's easier to go with FA (foward assist) but a little weight can be trimmed.

My advice is to get on the hand guard first, as lightweight is costly at times.

Aquajunky02

As far as building one goes they aren't very hard. I just finished building my first one a couple months ago. My advice is do lots of research and watch lots of YouTube videos. Decide exactly what your looking for your gun to do and have a plan before you start getting to much stuff. I kept mine fairly simple. The most expensive part of mine was the Daniel defense chrome BCG. IMO it was worth the extra money. It's a breeze to clean. I've put about 500 rounds through mine so far without any failures. They are fun to shoot, but even more when you built it. Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibmikey

For receivers get Aero Precision..great quality and added nylon tipped screw to take up space ( if any) between upper and lower, and threaded hole for take down spring plug.

Last edited:

stagpanther

You probably don't want to hear this--but I personally don't see a whole lot of value in pencil barrels--I think you're going to be throwing a ton of money at a mirage.:eek:

marine6680

Depends on how much you want to stick to the lightweight theme.

If you are willing to part with the cash, you can get titanium parts for some of the things you need.

The KMR rail from BCM is o e of the lightest around. The KMR-A isn't too bad on weight either. And a careful search can net you a decent lightweight rail for not too much money, but it will not be as light as the specialty ones.

That will be your biggest weight savings is the barrel and rail. Followed by a titanium gas block and flash hider.

That will eliminate as much weight as possible from the front end.

Beyond that, lighting the parts in the receiver is next, but that weight won't really do much for the balance and handling as the weight on the front will.

cmdc

Thanks for the input so far. I ordered a NiBo BCG, a 10" keymod handguard, VG6 muzzle brake, and a mispec receiver.

The lower I'm going to use has a carbine buffer, but the upper is midlength. I'm thinking I should get an H buffer for it. Do I need to get a stronger spring, too? Like I said, I'm new to this build business.

Aquajunky02

Thanks for the input so far. I ordered a NiBo BCG, a 10" keymod handguard, VG6 muzzle brake, and a mispec receiver.

The lower I'm going to use has a carbine buffer, but the upper is midlength. I'm thinking I should get an H buffer for it. Do I need to get a stronger spring, too? Like I said, I'm new to this build business.

I'm no expert by any means, but I would try it out before I changed anything. Why fix something if it's not broken? If you try it out and it doesn't perform as you expected then look into changing things.

Aquajunky02

Since most problems that require heavier buffers seem to stem from overgasing I would think a better solution would be a quality adjustable gas block?

bfoosh006

I agree with Aquajunky02...

don't jump the gun, on a different buffer yet.

My 14.5 BCM enhanced fluted ( I love ) is one of the softest shooting middies I have.

You can always get a heavier buffer later.... ( rather then having a unused collection of buffers at home , Lol )

And no offense Stagpanther, ( and I respect your opinion on pencil profile barrels )...but the profile on a BCM Enhanced LtWt. is much better then a pencil profile to me.

Its tapered barrel is stiff where needed with as little weight out toward the muzzle as needed... it is not designed to be a match barrel. IMHO... just a better balanced and designed lighter barrel.

It is so much better balanced, that I can "feel" the difference between the 14.5" and the 16" ELW barrels on identically set up rifles.

Dirty_Harry

stagpanther

I disagree. I don't think enough people use lightweight barrels enough. Sure longevity and accuracy (with prolonged fire) is better with a normal barrel, but average joe won't tell the difference. I have 2 BCM lightweight builds that are quickly becoming my go to guns.

You probably don't want to hear this--but I personally don't see a whole lot of value in pencil barrels--I think you're going to be throwing a ton of money at a mirage.:eek:
I tend to believe the opposite; I think pencil barrels make a lot of sense for the average shooter who can't shoot 1 MOA even from a bench, and likely wouldn't wear out the barrel in a lifetime. They don't cost much, and weight savings makes a big difference in handling and ergonomics.

I think it's the match barrels are a waste for all but the most dedicated shooters; they're just too big, heavy, and expensive. People buy them thinking they'll be shooting at 500 yards every weekend, then spend 90% of the time inside of 100 yards, and the other 10% inside of 200.

stagpanther

I disagree. I don't think enough people use lightweight barrels enough. Sure longevity and accuracy (with prolonged fire) is better with a normal barrel, but average joe won't tell the difference. I have 2 BCM lightweight builds that are quickly becoming my go to guns.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
I'm sure they are fun and handy--I just think that they are money pits to get meaningfully lighter than a "regular" AR--but what the hey--have at it. : )

rickyrick

My experience, rifles with heavy barrels are more stable than light rifles. The same mass that causes you to maneuver slowly also dampens operator input such as, heartbeats, breathing and twitches. Lightweight setups lend to quick maneuvering and bringing on target quickly.

So I would choose a light gun for action activities and hunting at short ranges, in brush and stalking and the like. I would choose heavy for supported shooting, medium range hunting and so on.

I'm sure they are fun and handy--I just think that they are money pits to get meaningfully lighter than a "regular" AR--but what the hey--have at it. : )
If you're talking about things like titanium gas blocks and magnesium alloy receivers, I agree completely; you end up paying something like an extra $100 for each ounce saved.

With barrels, though, I think it's money well spent if reducing weight is the objective. To go back to the OP's barrel, BCM's enhanced lightweight barrel is 22 ounces, compared to 28 ounces for the standard barrel, for just $30 more. That seems very reasonable for a 20% weight reduction. I just don't see $30 as a 'money pit'.

To use another popular manufacturer as an example, Faxon's 16" government profile barrel is 26.4 ounces and $169. For a whopping extra $6, you could get the Gunner profile (21.9 ounces) or the pencil profile (19.04 ounces).

I understand all the tradeoffs in weight vs performance (and, honestly, I do think the pencil profile goes a little too far), but if low weight is the objective, the barrel is probably the most efficient place to spend your money.

marine6680

CMDC

An H buffer seems to be the standard used now by most quality manufacturers. (non-budget models)

BCM uses H buffers in their midlength rifles.

I run an H2 in a couple of my midlength rifles with no issues even with cheap/weaker ammo. I have an H2 in a BCM build... it works great.

BCM Does their homework and picks a good gas port size, so you shouldn't have any problems with over gassing the rifle... So don't worry about an adjustable gas block.

cmdc

As to buffers, what are the criteria for determining which weight? I'm assuming it has to do, in part, with ammo weight.

I'm going to get an H buffer for the build because that's what BCM uses in their rifles. Do I need just the buffer or do I need a different spring as well?

I will be shooting up to 77gr wt ammo.