Votes: 12 38.7%
  • AR-9 pistol

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrWesson

Why a 9mm? I cast and reload 9mm dirt cheap. Matching guns to ammo.

Chronograph + custom 9mm loads from a rifle = fun.

Option 1 Buy a gen 2 sub 2000 probably spend around $500-600. Ive owned a gen 1 and loved it but a guy made me a stupid offer to buy it at the rang and had to($850). Pro - it folds Con - plastic vs AR aluminum

Option 2 Buy a Glock psa lower+upper for about $689 but I can better disguise the purchase from my wife (buy lowe then upper). I can easily afford either she just gets -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- about guns. Pro - buy in pieces, Lego customization, quality Con - doesn't fold and potentially more money.

Option 3 Psa pistol "build" with arm brace. Pro- compact, same as above Con - ATF ruling on "brace".

Option ? Camp 9, Beretta cx, etc.

Wondering why the PSA lower specifically?

I'm rolling this around in my head for myself and I think I will just wait until the KT Sub2000 G2 price settles. The cheek weld looks pretty terrible on it.

On the other end, there is always the tavor 9mm :)

MrWesson

Because the complete PSA lower that takes glock mags is under 300 :D.

Cheek weld is very low(shooting with muffs is almost impossible).

That being said i'd very much like to have it back and that was my plan until I started researching 9mm AR's.

marine6680

Well, if you have regular AR, the 9mm version will feel similar, and some people like that.

I would think the AR would be tougher overall. The sub2k looks interesting, but it just seemed a bit fragile, or at least not as robust as other rifles.

A separated upper and lower can pack away pretty well.

The Sig brace can't be shouldered but you can use it as a cheek support... Or a simple neoprene foam cover can be used. The low recoil of 9mm in such a platform would make the butt stock less needed.

The Beretta 9mm carbine is a fine rifle, well built and comfortable to use. Little hefty, but not bad. I had one years ago, I liked it, but sold it ultimately. I got it back when they were less than $600...

If I was currently looking for a 9mm carbine, I would go for the PSA build.

candr44

I have the first generation Sub 2000 and built a AR 9mm pistol with a Sig brace and 10.5" barrel before the ATF ruled on shouldering it. I like both guns but would give the edge to the AR. The AR has a last shot bolt hold open and is a lot easier to clean the inside of the receiver. The AR also has more sight options to mount on it and you can pay for the AR a few pieces at a time. My AR pistol is also about the same length as the Sub 2000 unfolded.

Although, if I built the AR over again I would change one thing and not use the Sig brace because of the ATF ruling on shouldering it. It is also almost impossible to use the sights with the brace strapped to your forearm.

The only advantage I can see to the Sub 2000 is that it folds in half, is easy to store, and you can carry it in a computer bag. However, I found folding it to be a problem if I mount a red dot on it and the factory sights (at least on the first generation) aren't very good. Its also very difficult to clean inside the receiver. The Sub 2000 is accurate though, a lot of fun to shoot, and has more magazine options than a AR. I don't plan on selling my Sub 2000 any time soon.

I had a Camp 9 also several years ago. I found it to be heavy and obsolete after I bought my Sub 2000 so I sold it. The Camp 9 buffers also deteriorated with age and the stock would eventually crack if not fixed. Its an easy cheap fix but something to watch for if you buy one.

I also have a Mechtech carbine conversion unit for my .45 caliber 1911. I bought it used at a good price but haven't found it to be as accurate as a dedicated carbine. For the price they ask for a new one, plus the cost of the pistol, I could buy a dedicated carbine.

yikes. I'm working a local deal on a G22 Frame right now I was hoping to put under a Mechtech if it goes thru. $65, so I figured I won't get hurt too bad.

The AR has a last shot bolt hold open and is a lot easier to clean the inside of the receiver.
I don't think all of the 9mms do have this function. LW and JP versions do not. DDLES and QC do. I don't know about PSA. My understanding is that feature adds signnificantly to the price tag, so my guess is not as PSA has the cheapest. I can't find information about features on the PSA rifle. I don't know about the NFA lower either.

Last edited:

mxsailor803

Have you looked at the Just Right Carbine? I am wanting one in 9mm but uses M&P mags. I've heard of minor issues with them in the beginning but not as of late.

dakota.potts

I thought you weren't supposed to shoot cast loads from AR-15s because it would clog up the gas port?

That would be an advantage to the Keltec, which is blowback and should be less picky about cast loads.

MrWesson

Have you looked at the Just Right Carbine? I am wanting one in 9mm but uses M&P mags. I've heard of minor issues with them in the beginning but not as of late.

I hadn't but thanks to your post did a bit of research.

Seems to hit every point except
Takedown requires tools and is a pain(problem shooting lubed cast bullets)

I can Build the PSA rifle slowly and cheaper or as cheap.

I can build an AR-9 with what I see as better components although not 100% sure on that the JR Carbine is well made by all accounts I read.

peggysue

Sub 2000 is just a unique folding smaller carbine compared to the AR and uses pistol magazines. Everyone needs to own one.

Last edited:

MrWesson

Cave man here...

I loved my Sub 2000 and had it modded with a quadrail and metal sight,etc.
It never malfunctioned... Ever and I cast/reload so you can imagine the 1,000's of rounds that went through it.

BUT

I'm leaning AR-9.

A huge reason why is availability or lacktherof when it comes the sub2k. Paying $700 for a rifle I paid 299.99 new 5 years ago? I don't see where that extra $400 came from. $700 figure comes from gunbroker since i've been unable to see one at retail price online. People are bidding like rabid ___ and buy it now prices are touching 1,000.

I can build a Palmetto AR9 with a billet lower and keymod 13" rail for 710 shipped and transferred... I see the value in that over the plastic sub2k regardless of folding capability. The most i'd be willing to spend on a sub2k is about $500 and they just aren't.

Unless something changes my mind i'm leaning heavily towards the AR-9.

MrWesson

In six months I think the Sub 2k will be approaching that price level. KT doubled production capability as part of the redesign.

That's good for 6 month older me.

I live in the now.

Also as a person who owns 3 keltec's i'll believe empty kel-tec promises when I see them. Innovative company, cool products, small operation, high demand... IMO they wont meet jack without selling out to someone bigger or moving production.

Pretty sure PSA does not have BHO on last shot. Can't find a good source, but several bad ones agree.

My sub2k didn't have that feature either if I remember right.. and if it did it didn't work right because almost every other mag it would pinch the last piece of brass like clockwork. Wasn't a jam & always the last round.

MrWesson

Threw you guys a huge curve ball.

Had to go to a nearby town to get contacts and stopped into a gun store i'd never been to.

Walked out with a never fired but used Beretta CX4 with 2 mags for 425... Why never fired? Apparently x-mas gift and traded towards an in stock AR.. I have absolutely no reason not to believe the owner of the shop either(met him before/great guy).

Based on internet research I done good.

9x19

I've owned a bunch of 9mm carbines (Marlin, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Just Right, Beretta), and for me, the AR is the best option. Mine has a Lone Wolf lower, and has been registered as an SBR. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in one.

LW-OG%20G9%20SBR%20vs1_zpsqobtt9q7.jpg

MrWesson

I've owned a bunch of 9mm carbines (Marlin, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Just Right, Beretta), and for me, the AR is the best option. Mine has a Lone Wolf lower, and has been registered as an SBR. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in one.

Don't take this bold part the wrong way as I just want to let people know in the thread what I did.

For everyone who cares I stopped by a local gun shop I hadn't been to and walked out with a unfired Beretta CX4 9mm for 425.

It was off my radar because I always thought they were in the 7-800 range and funny looking. After fondling one for the first time I had to have it and for 425 feel I can get my money back if I change my mind(still not sure what the owner was thinking).

The poll is still very relevant because
This wont be the last 9mm rifle I buy.
Other people may be interested.
I might still build an ar-9 and buy a sub2k:D.

sils79

I was gonna say CX4, its on my bucket list and looks like you stole one for $425, nice buy.

Hope you enjoy it.