AR 7.62x39 Range Report

WW2

This is my second 80% build. I decided to do an 80% lower build-on-the-cheap in 7.62x39. I built it from a kit from Daytona Tactical http://daytonatactical.com/collections/7-62x39-parts/products/7-62-x-39-ar-rifle-kit-10-quadrail-1-x-10-upper-assembled-without-80-lower and a raw finish lower from AR15 lowers.com https://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/80-lower-ar-15-raw-tactical-machining/# that I have had from a couple of years.

I did the normal function checks at home prior to hitting the range and had no issues. So out to the range! I loaded 1 round in the AR Stoner 7.62x39 magazine for AR15’s, pulled the charging handle and let go. The bolt went forward and chambered the round perfectly. I pulled the trigger and BOOM! It certainly has more kick than an AR15 in 5.56 NATO!

Next I inserted two rounds in to the magazine. Pulled the charging handle and released. I took aim and pulled the trigger. The rifle cycled perfectly. Pulled the trigger again and the rifle fired and the bolt locked back perfectly. Then I tried a three round magazine. It worked flawlessly! :D

Finally, I loaded the magazine with the (California) legal limit of 10 rounds. The rifle ran perfectly! What a fun gun! But after 45 rounds I put it away as the three of us had 6 long guns to test and enjoy in our 2 hour range session. I really recommend this as a kit rifle for anyone looking for a 7.62x39 AR. Either from a stripped lower or an 80% lower.

Just a word of caution: This AR will accept any AR15 magazine. Be DOG GONE SURE that you are putting the right caliber rounds in to this gun. I would be easy to insert a magazine of .223 Remington/5.56 NATO in to this rifle. That would be a disastrous mistake! :eek:

Mobuck

I've been on the "7.62x39 AR boat" for a long time. My first was a Colt A-2 upper that I never really liked. Someone wanted it enough to trade me a brand new Olympic A-3 upper that shoots much better. Then I assembled one from parts. Later Hardened Arms had an offer I couldn't pass up. Now I have 3 but only the Oly goes to the field. It's a 150 yard deer gun when using Hornady SST ammo. Otherwise, the package is an OK alternative for repelling boarders if it comes to that.
C-Prod (ASC) magazines work fine. We here in America use the 30's as we see fit but I most often use 10's to meet the game laws when hunting(IMHO:30's make the rifles more difficult to carry unless you really need the firepower).

WW2

I was warned!

I was warned that once I built an AR and put it in the safe that it would multiply like rabbits! So far only two, but it looks like 3 more are in the oven! :D

The AR Stoner 10 round mags work great for me! Next trip to the range and I will be doing accuracy checking as the first trip was for function testing only.

38superhero

Nice, thats my next build, and thanx for the intro to daytona tactical. Couple of questions, did that kit come with the enhanced firing pin or the wolf hammer spring? and did you use steele cased ammo? thanx again

WW2

Nice, thats my next build, and thanx for the intro to daytona tactical. Couple of questions, did that kit come with the enhanced firing pin or the wolf hammer spring? and did you use steele cased ammo? thanx again

That is an inexpensive kit. It said nothing of having an enhanced firing pin or wolf hammer spring.

As for the ammo, I tested using brass cased ammo. I will try steel cased ammo on the next range trip.

I built this entire rifle for under $600 and it is a blast to shoot! Sorry that is not much info.

From Daytona Tactical:
Kit Uses Standard AR15 Lower Receiver (Not Included)

16″ 7.62x39 M4 Feed Ramp 1×10 (Does Not Includes 80 percent Stripped Lower Receiver)

This rifle kit contains all components to complete YOUR Rifle except the lower receiver the Magazine or Sights).

Upper Are 7075 T-6 Aluminum

• Chamber - 7.62 x 39
• Barrel Twist - 1×10
• Barrel Thread - 5/8-24
• Barrel Steel - 4150 Chrome Moly Phosphate
• Flash Hider - A2 Flash Hider
• Handguard - 10" Quadrail Black Anodized
• Gas Block -.750 Low Profile gas block, Carbine Gas Tube with Pin
• Upper Receiver - M4 Flat-top Upper
• Bolt Carrier Group - 7.62x39 Bolt/Carrier assy
• Charging Handle - Included
• Lower Parts Kit - Milspec Lower Parts Kit
• Stock - US Made 6 Position Black Stock w/ buffer and spring

smee78

I built an ARX39 and it is a blast to shoot. I purpose built it for hunting and it has been super fun function checking. I use the ASC mags and haven't had any feeding problems with steel or Winchester brass ammo. I hope to work up a load for it soon just for hunting.