Ar-180b ???????

1911A1 fan

I saw it in there web site and heared a lot of talk, but has anyone out there gotten thier hands on one? If they are as good as the original for $ 590 how could you go wrong? And if some one knows a stocking dealer in SW Missouri that would be a big help.:confused:

1911A1 fan

I just went to the Armalite web site and they now have a sign up list so when the 180 comes out you can order one :mad: So much for the July ship date. But shoot I'm not going to put out $600 for a gun that I have not even seen, even from Armalite! I would rather have a AR-180 but if they wait to long I guess it's a Bushmaster for me.

Coop de Ville

Can someone explain the functional difference b/n the 180 and an AR-15? Does the 180 system work like a mini's?

Also, any concerns about the polymer?

Thanks, -Coop

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have one of the originals and I consider it what the AR-15/M16 should have been. Easy to maintain, inexpensive to make, durable, reliable, and accurate.

I like being able to shoot it without having to spend half a day cleaning it. No dirty bolt, no dirty carrier. Cleaning in the receiver is really not needed; cleaning the piston takes a couple of minutes.

Plus the bolt rides on rods like the M3 SMG so that the gun won't hang up if some crud (tree stumps, rocks, old tanks, etc.) gets into the receiver. No forward assist or fancy charging handle, just a plain old bolt handle to which a boot heel can be applied.

No spring in the butt, allowing (on the old model) a true folding stock.

The AR-15/M16 may be more accurate (after millions of dollars were spent to make it so) but the AR-18/180 was the better rifle for military use.

Jim

ModIMark0

I just saw a a recent copy of Shotgun News that has the Armalite AR180B in its new products section. While I know that it is not available with its original folding stock to civilians because of the AW ban in the 1994 crime bill, is it legal to have a removable stock that has some form of simple and rapid locking and unlocking mechanism? Or would that classify it as a class three any other weapon?
I had been thinking of the legality of the .22LR AR7 and Papoose rifles which are easy to takedown (including the stocks) for the sake of space, and while I do not know if they are able to function with their stocks removed, but think that if they are functional w/o their stocks would make a good argument for allowing a removable stock for the AR180B to be manufactured. That would make it a more portable rifle to have in the trunk of smaller cars (like the one I drive) when travelling than an 16" barrel AR15 carbine, and be easier to fit into smaller spaces than the earlier AR180s, since the folding stocks increased the width of the rifles when the length was decreased. Does this sound like a good idea?

Dead

I would like to get one of these :)

590 retail, wonder what it would come out to in total out the door??? aboiut 500 sounds right?

Kaylee

ModI... the Robinson .223 rifles/carbines have a stock like you suggest, so I presume it's legally possible to do the same with the AR180. Not a clue if it's technically feasible though.

-K