AR-15 USGI 30 rd. vs 20 rd.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Back during the heyday of "Survivalism", when Mel Tappan was The High Guru Of All and the Peanut Farmer wuz El Prez, 30- and 40-round mags weren't all that expensive. I got some for an AR and a Mini. They worked just fine. Brand? Couldn't begin to tell you.

Then I got to asking myself, "Self? Why? What's the point?" Best I could tell, the answer wuz, "There ain't ary."

I noticed that somehow or another, Armageddon did not arrive as predicted. I decided that life was simpler and easier with 20-round mags for an AR.

I discovered the factory 10-round mag for a Mini, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. "Factorial Perfection" :D, at last. Then the dumb bunnies quit making them. :(

I guess the only reason I avoid such things as 30-round mags is that they make the silly gun weigh more than it needs to, and it's in the way when shooting from the bench or from a prone position. This latter position strikes me as prudent for that Glorious, Longed-for Day of SHTF.

"I can't get no lower; my buttons are in the way!"

:D, Art

MPH

ARs weren't designed to feed from a curved mag, although they do is still a mystery to this day:eek:

Badger Arms

AR's were designed to feed tapered cases from a straight magazines. This limits the magazine to about 20 or so rounds with the taper of the 5.56x45mm case. The curved magazine corrects this so that the follower, rather than tilting in the straight magazine, follows the natural taper of the cartridges. Robert Fremont designed the curved magazine for Colt and it is, indeed, the better, more reliable magazine. See the patent here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=3,440,751

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Art,

I was leaning that way as far as the prone position goes.

This latter position strikes me as prudent for that Glorious, Longed-for Day of SHTF. Art

Seeing as how I would already be in a grave under this scenario, I'd be foolish to long for it. In 1994, I had a spinal cord tumor removed that would have paralyzed me from the armpits down. It took a major medical center, a topnotch neurosurgeon, and very high-tech gear to put me back on the streets and walking. My chances for needing such in the future are VERY high seeing as there was another one in there that the neurosurgeon didn't want to touch.

Like I recently told Spectre, in a SHTF scenario, put me in the rearguard or the forlorn hope...my chances are as good there as anywhere.

I'll take the civilization we have...warts and all. Wonder what the guys that do long for this would think 11 years out when minor scratches began to kill them from tetanus. `

Jamie Young

I'm probable within a month or two of picking up an AR and I've been debating on what kind of mags to stock up on. From My personal experience with "standard capacity mags" 20rd mags are always more reliable than 30rd.

I thought they didn't make USGI 20rd mags anymore? They got to be harder to get???

K80Geoff

Soda... they legally do not make 20 or 30 round mags any more for us common folk:D

Having carried 20's I prefer 30 round mags. But the 20's are better for shooting from the bench.

Here is a great source to find out about AR-15 mags:
http://magfaq.tripod.com/

I have used the site on several occasions to determine if the mags I was getting were USGI or not, if they were pre-ban or not, and whether or not a particular brand was problematic.

I see no actual reason to avoid 30 round mags that are USGI, although several posters brought up points about bench shooting and the fact that 30 rounders are too big to do that comfortably.

I don't know if ARs were designed to feed from curved mags or not. However, it does NOT matter what they were designed for so long as 30 rounders function well in the gun and don't harm the gun. Heck, ARs weren't designed for a lot of things, such as being scoped, ultra short CAR setup, to have collapsing stocks, or to have light kits attached. In reality, ARs were not designed for left-handed people to fire either, but had to be retrofitted with deflectors to keep lefties from getting pegged in the head with ejected cases. Now, of course, the guns come with deflectors for that very reason.

As for purchasing mags, I have had good luck on www.auctionarms.com in getting pre-ban newer magazines, even managing to score some vintage 1986 unused USGI mags for $28 each after shipping. Twenty round mags tend to hold prices better than 30s. It is easier to find used 30 round mags for $20 bucks than 20 rounds and the 20 rounders will run about the same price.

If you shot around, stay patient, you will be able to score quality and undamaged mags for reasonable prices. I recently got some well used 30 rounders for $50 for four plus a mag pouch, including shipping. These were definitely well-used mags, but undamaged except for the finish. They don't look great but do function just fine and are now my range mags.

Unless you are a collector, I see no reason in paying premium prices for mags specifically marked with the Colt logo on them. In many cases, these are not even made by Colt anyway, and they don't function any better than the standard USGI mags.

Jason280

Any USGI 30 rd magazine will function in an AR15, so they are the best ones to use. There are a lot of different names on USGI mags, such as Universal, Center, OKay, LaBelle, etc, but they all work the same. There were so QC problems with Sanchez magazines, but I think they were all pulled. There might be a few floating around, so be leary. Also, stay away from USA magazines. By far, they are the worst AR15 mags on the market.

As far as the 30 vs 20rd question, here is my take. I have yet to find any difference between the two, as far as reliability is concerned. The guys over at AR15.com seem to think the 20rd mags are tougher, but I cannot verify this. The link above to the the mag FAQ is a great site for all your mag questions, so check it out. One thing you will find, though, is the 20rd mags are usually more expensive, especially if it is a Colt mag. Be aware, however, that Colt mags were all made by Universal, so there is no difference between the two (except fo the floorplate and the price).

BigG

Due to the long straight mag well, the 30 shot AR15 mag is NOT curved. Close observation will show that it is actually two straight sections joined at an angle just like the 30 US Carbine 30 round mag is.

There are pictures of Stoner's or Colt's (I forget which) 30 round magazine that IS curved but the AR15 had a curved mag well to correspond with the mag. Look in "The Black Rifle."

http://www.epinions.com/content_66857242244

There are lots of great rare photographs and descriptions that I have seen nowhere else.

Last edited:

Nukem

I like 20's for prone, but I've never had a problem with any contract 30 rnd mag.
As for an AR not feeding from a curved mag... I have a 7.62X39 upper and I use the USA AR-AK Frankenmag and they feed just fine, FWIW.

BigG

Right you are Nukem, but they take the top off an AR15 mag and attach it below the mag well to an AK47 mag. The problem is not the curve, it is that you can't insert a curved mag into the straight mag well.

jtduncan

I just picked up a Bushmaster 20" HBAR flattop.

Got three USGI 30-rounders and I have a line on some several nice USGI 20-rounders.

Best to have several of both. for bench, prone, and sitting positions, the 20s are more convenient.

And a lot of outdoor ranges around here only permit single round firing anyway.

If anybody wants to sell their Bushmaster 10-rounders, email me. I'll buy them.

voilsb

Well, I have never seen or talked to anyone who has used a 20rd magazine in the Army since the M16A2 came out, so I can't think of a reason to avoid the 30rd ones. I've never had a problem going prone with a 30rd mag, either.

Get both, use both. The 20 are great for bench and prone shooting. For sheer plinking pleasure and *ahem*, work, 30s are the way to go.

asp

I prefer 30's primarily because I like to off-load mags by a few rounds and still have 25+ available. The 30 doesn't present a problem for me, prone or bench, but I can see how it might not suit some folks. Bottom line--stick with good USGI mags in your favorite flavor, and your AR experience will be just fine.