AR-15 style Rifle help

dabigguns357

As most most of you know i have been looking for a either an AR-15 style or a similar rifle in 308 like the dpms panther.

I have made my chioce and settled on a Ar-15 style rifle but where i need help is which one to get.I have found a dpms 223 for $795.00,a Rock River for 1,050.00,or Colt for 1,145.00,and a Olympic Arms 223 for 699.00.All are nib and base models.

I like the price of the dpms and Olympic.I have the money but should i wait and get something better like Colt or Rock River.

Help please:D

P.S The rifle will be for fun and target but may do some light hunting with it.

Last edited:

socom58

Between the DPMS and the Olympic, I'd go with the DPMS. I've heard of quite a few people having issues with Olympic rifles. What is your intended use for the rifle - defensive weapon, all-around gun, target, etc.? Do you want an A2 style with the carry handle or an A3/A4 style with a flattop upper for potential optics? Just a few things to consider when narrowing things down.

Personally, I think Colts are overrated. I feel that you can get just as good or better for less money. I am currently in the process of piecing together an AR for target duty and went with Rock River. They seemed to offer the best value of cost to quality for what I was looking for. Only problem is my upper isn't scheduled to show up until sometime in the next century and I'm going crazy anticipating the build. :)

Basically, I would go with the DPMS if you're looking to save a little cash or go with the Rock River if you want to spend a little more. I think either one will serve you well. Another couple you might want to take a look at are Stag Arms and CMMG - both make good reasonably priced rifles. Good luck with your search and beware - ARs are addictive. :p

NSO_w/_SIG

There have been several links posted on here recently to S&W MP AR's for around $800. I'd much rather have that than a DPMS. If you are willing to piece the rifle together yourself, even if it is just mating up a complete lower with a complete upper you could have a better rifle for your money. I think if you did a search in this forum of the last couple months on "AR-15" you will get lots of results back that have links to better deals than what you are posting here.

BTW- If you are going to buy an upper that does not have a BCG do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on that one part, www.bravocompanyusa.com has top of the line, MPI and HP tested BCG for $139.00 and is about as good as BCG get.

dabigguns357

Thank you all for the imput.I have contacted my ffl and have also been in contact with the pawnshop where they have the smith and wesson m&p 15.It's a way better deal than what i have found so far.

Now for some accessories,it is a flat top so what else would i need other than ammo.:D

better yet lets see what ya'll put on yours.

10-96

Have you checked CMMG lately? I got to handle one of their $600 Bargain Bin rifles. There was absolutely nothing to sneeze at there. The only smudge was just above the bolt release- it was about a .10" square light colored spot that I could only see in really good light. It did not appear to have been fired very much at all. No carbon build up, very faint ring around the firing pin hole, and no scrapes in the mag well from insertion and removal of magazines. That rifle was as good or better than any of them at Gander Mtn which get banged around by eyeballing customers.

ranger dave

ar 15

there are only a few co. that make lowers colt , fn , and i think bush master but im not for sure on them. and after you get it set up the way you like you will never get your money back on a resale ( in less some law changes but thats another thread). so get what lookes good to you and for what you want to spend. you can get a blaster with a 1 sights for $600 or pay for a full loaded ruger for $1200 . parts are parts if you don't like something about your weapon change it . you can do just about anything you want to do with an ar 15. from a 600 yard match weapon to a 22 lr pistol ats all up to you. what you should ask is what do i want to do with my weapon? then buy or built what best fills that role