AR-15 scope

Dirty_Harry

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 with the 5.5 inch Flash Hider.....and the non removable carry handle. I was wondering if anyone else had this rifle and what kind of optics I should mount on it.

My buddy just got an EOTECH and it is awesome, but he has the removable carry handle, and personally I think it would look stupid to put one on top of the carry handle or in front of it. I also thought of an ACOG but they are so fartin $$$$$$.

HELP!

Samuel2001

Dirty_Harry,

You'd be surprised as to how comfortable some of the scopes that are mounted waaaay out there on the handguard really are. I actually have a Bushy with the 16" barrel and the 5.5" flash supressor to make it look like an 11" barrel, and I had the Trijicon Reflex Sight on a cantliever mount that extended over the handguard on it. I find that set up really comfortable and fast, I have since moved it to another upper and I shoot it more often than I do my ACOG scoped AR.

I would'nt rule out that set up before you try it. Find someone who has one, or a local store that has an AR with rails on the handguard and ask to mock up a dot type scope to try, most will accomodate to try and make a sale.

I'll look to see if I have a pic to post, or I'll take one soon to post here.

Good luck.:)

Attachments

• DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 89

LoadIt

Get a new upper?

Have you thought about purchasing a new flattop upper to put on your Bushmaster? DPMS sells them for less than Bushmaster wants. 125 dollars from DPMS. Install the barrel and your other parts and you have a new mounting platform.

Dirty_Harry

I did think about getting a new upper, but most of them are like 500 bucks, granted I have not checked out dpms yet....how are the rock river arms uppers?

fanoblack

The 500 dollar uppers you are looking at are complete, they have hardware. You could go that route, but another option which is the one mentioned is to swap the actual upper part of the receiver (where the barrel mounts and the b/bc/ch all stay). Just move your current barrel, handgaurds, gas tube over to a new one that has a flat-top and you now have a very attractive mounting surface.

This is a complete upper:
Up%20CAR%20A2%20Mid.jpg

This is just an upper:
upper_receiver_flatop.jpg

fanoblack

p.s. RRA is a good stuff, so is Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite, Colt and so on.

fanoblack

I really don't know. I would look around I know Delton Sells an upper (sans B/BC/CH) for $85, however if you have some time I would steer you towards the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com, guys swap stuff there all the time. Look for a used upper (this part will be just fine used, not a lot to go wrong up there that doesn't take the upper out of action all together if it does). Some places to look:

M&A Upper selection

Delton Flattop upper

fanoblack

FirstFreedom

Yup. I'd put on a sturdy canti-levered mount like that, a red dot like an Eotech or Bushnell holosight; maybe a meprolight MP21, and then I could co-witness the irons & red dot.

Fisher

Guys I kind of like the "canti-levered mount" idea. What kind of prices are we talking about to put one of those on a Colt AR15 ?