ar-15 question...

Nimitz87

looking at a few pictures of ar-15's i noticed this weird lever/button on the lower receiver on both sides of the rifle and have no clue what it is...can someone clue me in?

DSC02143.jpg

heres another example slightly different...

usmc03%20bswat04s.jpg

and the opposite side.

usmc03%20bswat5s.jpg

thanks

Chad

rgitzlaff

Maybe it is a three-round burst selector on a legally owned M16/M4? Don't know, just speculation. I have never seen that before either.

O6nop

I think it has something to do with preventing the pins from rotating. Not sure, my brother mentioned something about it and looks similar to the pictures he showed me. If the pins rotate to much they get out of round and they loosen up.

Nimitz87

thanks...so what is the overall consensus on this? required? recommended? or just another thing to slap on?

Chad

c4igrant

I used to think that KNS pins were overkill untill I had pins walk in me during a class. Then you get the dreaded "click" when you should have gotten "bang."

Anything that makes the weapon more reliable is not overkill to me.

C4

BUSTER51

used a M16 in combat in 1971-1972 and fired thousands of rounds and Never had the problem this is suposed to slove

I used to think that KNS pins were overkill untill I had pins walk in me during a class. Then you get the dreaded "click" when you should have gotten "bang."

Anything that makes the weapon more reliable is not overkill to me.

That is why I said they are overkill on most guns, not ALL guns.

They are overkill for most people, esspecially in a semi auto, but they won't hurt anything.

AGREED !!

Pins don't walk on every gun. Have it happen one time and you will re-think not using them.

in almost 40 years of shooting AR-15s, i have NEVER had pins "walk" out.., but then all my AR-15s are Colt ;):D

MMcfpd

My 5.56 ARs are Colts, and the stock pins do rotate, particularly the hammer pins. I've never had a problem, but as I've replaced stock triggers with aftermarket triggers I've put on the KNS pins. They're a lot cheaper than the price differential between a Yankee Hill BUIS and an A.R.M.S. BUIS and I can't easily appreciate what the extra dollars get you there.