ar-15 nikon african scope choice - want input.

pilpens

I have an ar15 16" midlength with med weight barrel.
I want to replace the iron sights with a Nikon African scope.

The questions is which nikon african to get between the following?
1. 1-4x20mm, 1/2" click adjustments, 1 inch tube.
2. 1.1-4x24mm, 1/4" click adjustment, 30 mm tube, 2x more expensive.

I use the rifle for 50-100 yard range shooting. No plans to make it a benchrest type. Slow fire standing mostly. If I like the scope enough, I will removed the iron sights.

1. 30mm tube primarily and 1/4 click adjustment worth the extra money?
Which one to pick?

thanks.

Last edited:

olyinaz

I like the size of that scope and I'm looking for something in this price range at this size as well (I took a full size scope back off my M4 carbine as it just wasn't a good fit for me and my kind of shooting) but here's my problem with those scopes: the German #4 reticle. If you're going to get one regardless perhaps consider the one with the illuminated reticle.

For your distance of shooting I'm not sure that the minute/click thing needs to be a huge consideration.

Best,
Oly

GLK

I think I would tend to go with the one inch tube myself. But that is just my way of thinking, you won't go wrong with either that is for sure. I personally have a Browning labeled Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32(one inch tube)in a LaRue QD mount atop a 16 inch(mid length gas system)medium contour WOA 1/7 twist SS barrel. I will have to give the Nikon a close look on the next build. I have had great results with the lower powered scopes on an AR. BTW where are getting the 30MM tube model for only $40.00 more?

pilpens

manvantureoutpost $212 = 1 inch
americanweaponsystems $240 = 30mm - Seems like this is incorrect since Nikon site does not show a 1-4x20 30mm.
Searches for the 1.1-4x24 30mm show at least 3x the price of the 1-4x20 inch.
Given the prices, Nikon 30mm tube is out.
In any case, should the the 1/2 vs 1/4 inch click adjustments matter for 4x 100 yard shooting?
At 1x, I do not think that I will notice the difference.
thanks.

Last edited:

Jimro

pilpens,

If your ar does not shoot tighter than 1/2 inch at 100 yards, then there is no need for adjustments finer than 1/2 moa. The stock A2 rear sight elevation adjustments are in 1/2 moa increments anyways.

Jimro

CraigC

The Millett is a good one. In its description, "compact design" is a relative thing. It's a 30mm tube and IMHO, it's fairly large and heavy. It's a full three inches longer than a Leupold VXII 1-4x20mm (1" tube).
IMG_0748b.jpg

pilpens

Ordered a nikon african 1-4x20 and a burris ar-perp mount.
Thanks for your input, I hope the 1/2 inch click workout.
I would be very happy if I get 1.5 inch @100 with my ammo/rifle/scope combo.
I will keep the millet in mind for next AR.

olyinaz

Please let us know what you think of the scope and the reticle. I'm interested in that scope as well but I've not found one locally to actually look through.

Best,
Oly

zenmtnman

Gentlemen,
Sorry I wasn't able to weigh in sooner, but here's my two cents.
I've got the exact setup the OP purchased on my 6.8 SPC AR platform (mid upper,floated), and I love it. The 1/2" clicks aren't a disadvantage for me, as most of the shooting I do with this scope is both eye's open at 1X, which I really like because it is a true 1X. The PEPR mount is rock solid, and after taking it off once or twice, on 1X it seemed to return right to zero. The scope optics are clear and crisp, as is expected from a Nikon Monarch (I have three of them). The german #4 reticule is easy to see, and makes target acquisition quick and easy. One piece of advice I would give, is that with this scope I would recommend getting either a flip up gas block mounted sight, or as low a profile front rail BUIS as you can, as it definitely is visible in the bottom of the sight picture at 2X, if that is a distraction for you.
Keep an eye out on ebay for promotions or good auctions of that scope, and if you're patient, you can get it for as low as around $125-150.
Here's a picture of the set up, click for larger image:

It's a great set up, and you can't go wrong with it.
Good Luck!

pilpens

Finally got my scope and burris pepr mount. My scope setup is the same zenmtnman's but the scope is about .25"-.50" forward than his. My mid-length carbine has the regular plastic handguards and still has the FSB. I have not shot the rifle with the scope.
So far, the rifle feels OK. The eye bell hinders easy access to the charging handle but livable. Cross hair is easy enough to pick up, image is clear at all magnification. Image seems smaller than actual size at 1x but I may need to play with eye-relief when I zero it. I am not sure if a Troy rear BUIS would fit under the scope. The front sight is just a shadow on the bottom 1/4 of the image at 4x and the tip of the sight post is approximatly 1/8" below the cross hair at 1x.
My FSB is a little bit canted approx 1 degree to the left (takes 6 clicks with a DD fixed rear to 0) and it is noticeable with the scope at 1x.

Plan is to zero and shoot with front sight on (see how it feels). Maybe fixed the cant to hopefully lineup the cross hair with the sight post. Remove the sight post but keep the base on. This way, I will have a better sight picture with the scope and it would not be to difficult to restore iron sights without buying parts for a flip up front sight.

zenmtnman

Pilpens,
You will need to play with the focus ring on the back of the eye bell to get your true 1X. It took me about 15 min to get it just right (I'm a bit of perfectionist). I picked a spot about 100 yards away, and moved the scope into and out of my LOS, adjusting the focus ring until I couldn't tell a difference in what I was seeing when the scope moved over the same object. Set the eye relief where you want it, and adjust the focus until the 1X is crisp and clear.
As for the charging handle, I ended up getting a Badger Tac Latch, with the oversized latch handle, which allows me to cycle the action and put a round into battery with my left hand, and keeps me from having to fiddle with getting my fingers under the scope to release the charging handle latch. They're not bad at about $25ish.
With a canted FSB, I would highly recommend swapping for either a set screw FSB, like Yankee Hill's front flip FSB (so you can center it and not be dependent on the pin holes drilled in the barrel for the std FSB), or float the barrel and get a railed handguard/forearm and a rail mounted front sight.
Just my 2 cents on that.
Can't wait for your range report on your rig.
Good luck!

pilpens

Update:

Shot 20 rounds at 4x to zero at 50 yards using 62grain wolf ammo. I was within an inch in 7 rounds and zeroed by the 15 round. Burned the rest shooting off-hand at 1x.
I did not find the 1/2" adjustments lacking at 50 yards.
With the adjustments on the eyepiece, 1x was achieved.
Scope was bright and clear.
WISH (Just being very picky. Not really issues):
1. It would be nicer to have longer than 4" eye-relief. 5 or 6 inch eye relief would allow better access to the charging handle.
2. Lighted reticle would be nice, too -- but price goes up.

For now, I am happy enough with the scope and my AR combo.
Plan for next trip to the range will be 20 rounds at 100 yards.
I may experiment with .25"-.5" risers - this will allow better access to charging handle and allow scope to clear the FSB more than it does now. I may get a bigger latch, too.
Worst case: Nikon Omega --- It has a 5" eye-relief and 1.65-5x36mm. Just depends on how much I like or use the 1X.

Need to shoot a lot more to be able to say more.

Last edited:

jy951

Bushnell makes a scope designed for slug guns with cantilever scope mounts. It has like 5.5" or so of eye relief. You might check that out also. Its a cheaper scope, not sure how good it is.