Ar-15 M4?

WhyteP38

I'm new to ARs, I plan to get one in about a month, and I've been looking up info in various places, including the Web. One thing I haven't found is a description of what makes an M4 different from other ARs. The search feature of the sites I've visited won't let me search just "M4" because there aren't enough characters.

I had thought the main differences were a collapsible butt stock and a shorter barrel, but I'm now thinking I'm not even close. Can someone tell me what the differences are?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the differences are that true M4's have the notched barrel profile and extended feed ramps. You can get collapsible stocks and short barrels on any configuration.

reils49

Like fs2k was saying, "M4" is the military designation for the shortened version of the M16 rifle, which is currently manufactured for the gov't by Colt. All others are merely knockoffs. If you are looking for a shortened ar-15, try searching for a "ar-15 carbine".

FS2K

Yeah I like that description Dave!

I spell it M4gery but since it is a fake word who care's about spelling?!?! LOL!

I would have mentioned it but didn't want to confuse WhyteP38!

Bill T

This is my wifes Bushmaster Heavy Barreled M-4 Carbine. It doesn't have that useless cut out for the granade launcher. It has the A-1 sights and the old style teardrop foward assist. We got it for a really good price from our local dealer thru Davidsons with a lifetime free replacement warranty. It's a good shooter with all types of ammo. Colt tried to sue Bushmaster for useing the term "M-4", but lost the suit. The court determined "M-4" was a generic term used to describe that type of carbine. The term "M-4" belongs to anyone who wants to use it. It is not the sole property of Colt Firearms, or anyone else for that matter. Bill T.

FS2K

See, now that brings up a question I have been meaning to ask...

The term "M4" is so widely and loosely used these days it seems like manefacturers are simply slapping it on any AR15 type weapon they please.

Take your wifes Carbine for example Bill. In my opinion it is not even close to being an M4 configuration. It has an A1 Upper reciever assy, no notch on the barrel for the M203, & has the 'skinny' forend furniature on it. It has nothing in common to an M4 except for the 6 position stock.

In a recent article in Guns & Ammo: Combat Tactics magazine entitled "MP5 vs. M4" All of the AR's in the entire article except ONE were either 10.25" or 11.5" carbines. The only actual M4 pictured has a surpressor on it.

Are ALL Ar15 Carbines being called "M4's" now?!?!

OneInTheChamber

An M4 has a 14.5'' barrel. You can get an AR with that length, but it will be an SBR. It will require a registered SBR lower; which needs a have a form on file with the ATF (along with a $200 tax stamp).

You don't need a 14.5'' barrel for a first AR. A 16'' is fine and is legal without jumping through hoops. A logner barrel is even better if its just going to be a range gun.

That's the main difference between an M4 and an AR15-A3 (flat top upper). I'm ignoring the obvious "giggle switch" that the military enjoys. You can get a full on, full auto M4, it'll just cost you 5 figures.

Last edited:

Bill T

"Are ALL Ar15 Carbines being called "M4's" now?!?!"

You pretty much got it. You could show that picture to 500 gun guys and 499 of them would say, "Thats an M-4!" The other guy would probably be blind. The granade launcher cutout is useless on a civilian M-4. It's the same with any Winchester 94 with a 16" barrel being called a Carbine. It's a general term, nothing more. Bill T.

ITEOTWAWKI

So does that make it pretentious or knowledgeable to call my friend's gun a "Short barreled AR" because it doesn't have the grenade launcher notch in the barrel? Or by being '16 does that make it only a carbine while anything requiring a NFA tax would be a shortbarrel? Does having a civvy AR Carbine with the barrel notch technically make it an M4 or simply M4-Style? (Talk about splitting hairs)

And I thought that the marines get 3 round burst while the seals (& maybe special forces) get full auto...Can anyone clarify?

FS2K

Thanks for the revelation Bill!

Ain't that a hoot.

Anyway...OneInTheChamber, I have 3 "M4" with 14.5" barrels on them, but I pinned and welded Yankee Hill Phantom FH's on them to make the 16" minimum. I can't see a difference between the 14.5" and 16" barrels as far as performance goes, and though I know the 16" is getting more velocity I just don't notice it! LOL! :)